Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 06:11 AM   #1
Pennix

Default Does FlashFXP Support SFTP Sites? Yes it does

If Not. Could I Make It by Some way ?
Old 03-03-2005, 07:21 AM   #2
Harm
Too much time...
Ultimate Scripter

No, FlashFXP doesn't support sftp at the moment.

http://forum.flashfxp.com/showthread...highlight=sftp
http://forum.flashfxp.com/showthread...highlight=sftp
Old 08-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
taber
FlashFXP Registered User

Is there any update here? For example, any estimated timeline for including SFTP support in an upcoming release? Or maybe there's some kind of workaround for now?

It seems like a handful of FTP apps support SFTP these days. I'm surprised there isn't a ton of other people asking for it!

Thanks,
Taber
Old 08-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

The last time we reviewed adding SFTP support we determined that nothing short of a complete rewrite is needed in order to support SFTP. The problem stems from the fact that SFTP doesn't use FTP protocol and FlashFXP is heavily built directly around the FTP protocol, to add SFTP support 100s of changed would are needed.

We'd love to offer SFTP support but there isn't really a viable solution at this time.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
ArtX
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

not even as a plugin or something - dll - or would that also require too much time and loads of changes
Old 08-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Either way it's the same amount of work.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #7
Tankred
FlashFXP Registered User

That's very sad news. A few months ago, I had to stop using my purchased copy of FlashFXP as my last provider changed his connection type to sftp, too. It's very sad that the program I liked to use for a long time now has to endure a life as a bench-warmer. Considering the security reasons that brought my providers to switch from ftp to sftp, the player FlashFXP will most probably never play (again) - RIP.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:56 AM   #8
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

this is a funeral of one. you are the only one here that's burring flashfxp. for majority of flashfxp users it's still as alive and useful as ever.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

There is hope at the end of the tunnel.. so to speak, if you don't want to give up FlashFXP there are 3rd party SFTP to FTP tunnel applications that will bridge the gap between FlashFXP and the SFTP server. I haven't tested this but I hear it works great.

BitVise Tunnelier http://www.bitvise.com/ftp-bridge provides a SFTP to FTP bridge, Tunnelier can normally be used free of charge if it is used by less than 5 people and on less than 5 machines in an organizational department.

Last edited by bigstar; 09-09-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:11 AM   #10
Hotkey
FlashFXP Registered User

i would also like to have this feature implemented someday.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
taber
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankred View Post
That's very sad news. A few months ago, I had to stop using my purchased copy of FlashFXP as my last provider changed his connection type to sftp, too. It's very sad that the program I liked to use for a long time now has to endure a life as a bench-warmer. Considering the security reasons that brought my providers to switch from ftp to sftp, the player FlashFXP will most probably never play (again) - RIP.
I agree, that's a bummer! Full re-write? Jeeze, that's rough.

I'm in the same boat as this person, unfortunately. I've been using FileZilla a lot lately - I have to use SFTP a lot at work, and I would (eventually) love to switch back to using my paid copy of FlashFXP. I'll keep my fingers crossed!!
Old 11-19-2007, 11:01 PM   #12
taber
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taber View Post
I agree, that's a bummer! Full re-write? Jeeze, that's rough.

I'm in the same boat as this person, unfortunately. I've been using FileZilla a lot lately - I have to use SFTP a lot at work, and I would (eventually) love to switch back to using my paid copy of FlashFXP. I'll keep my fingers crossed!!
Update: I tried doing the Tunnelier workaround, and even though it's a bit cumbersome (an annoying extra step) it does in fact work!! Yay. Thanks a bunch for the tip.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #13
Sigmundt
FlashFXP Registered User

Thumbs down Wow, no SFTP?

One of my clients sent me a link to their FTP site today... I pull up my trusty paid-for FlashFXP version 3.6 (latest and greatest) and lo an behold, after trying everywhere to find an option for SFTP, I log in here and read this.

I'm very surprised that you guys are not leading the pack here, having added SFTP a long time ago. This thread goes back to 2005 when someone is asking for SFTP.. it is now 2008.. what have you guys been doing for the last 3 years? Did you just assume SFTP was not going to become a needed feature at some point? Is there a version 4.0 beta somewhere I can try that does indeed have SFTP? Guess not...

So now I too have to find another application to use.. and as I hate having more than one application for the same task, I will probably end up using whatever I find exclusively.. which means I won't be using FlashFXP anymore, just like someone else mentioned in this thread... Even if we are talking about a complete re-write, I'm sure you could have done so in the last 3 years.. I would have paid to upgrade if money was the issue, as I'm sure many other loyal FlashFXP users would have... not instead you are going to loose us as customers, one by one..
Old 03-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #14
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Yes, actually I did think SFTP was just going to be another internet protocol that was going to appear and fade away just as quickly. To my surprise it's becoming more and more common these days. In my opinion Secure FTP (FTP w/ SSL/TLS) is far more superior than SFTP, yet companies seem to be taking a different direction these days.

Realistically there were so many reasons not to add SFTP back in 2005, clearly we made the wrong choice. We're now looking into ways of integrating SFTP into FlashFXP without a rewrite but its a very slow process especially with me being the only developer and I have many other things on my schedule that have a higher priority.

I try to not to bring my personal life into the equation but I got married nov 03' and we had a son in june 06' and as a family man now I have a lot more responsibility and it's taking me a lot longer than I anticipated to get things done with FlashFXP, I've tried really hard to to make things go as smooth as possible but it's been a rough journey. I went from working 80+ hours a week down to about 40 hours a week.

Things will get done, It's just going to take a bit longer.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
Sigmundt
FlashFXP Registered User

Thanks for the reply. I just installed FileZilla and am currently transfering files to my client using SFTP. The GUI looks the same.. I mean, the process for setting up a site, transferring files, all that process wise looks identical to FlashFXP. So you really wouldn't have to change anything GUI wise, just add an other type of connection in the site manager. I realize the communication routines would have to be modified, but better yet, just create some different subroutines for SFTP and leave the FTP stuff alone to avoid introducing bugs in there. You could surely look at the source code for FileZilla and pretty quickly figure out how they do SFTP, and go from there. A nice weekend project! Send the wife and kid off somewhere for the weekend and there ya go! We all love your product but as standards change, if we can't use it, we'll be driven to other products, and we all loose in the end...
Closed Thread

Tags
flashfxp, make, sftp, sites, support

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: