Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 01:59 PM   #1
JamesQB

Question FlashFXP won't connect through a proxy

* FlashFXP v2.1, build 924, unregistered
* OS WinXP
* Running firewall No
* Running Antivirus Yes, Name Norton Antivirus 2004
* Network Other - Wireless Broadband

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use FlashFXP for my FTPing needs. It's an unregistered version as I've only recently got myself server space which requires FTP, although I've used FTP clients before, so have some knowledge of what I'm doing.

I'm on a wireless broadband connection. The ISP is using Microsoft ISA firewall and, therefore, I have the ISA client software on my computer. It needs an IP address entered in it as the wireless broadband is part of a wireless LAN which supplies broadband to a few areas around here which otherwise have no broadband capabilities. That IP depends on which route to the internet portal is closest to the user, and ours is IP address ***.17.1.1. Although we can also connect through another IP address: ***.17.2.168, which we sometimes do if the other number gives us a slow connection. We also must enter this proxy IP in our Internet browsers as well as the ISA client software.

Using the ***.17.2.168 number in the ISA client software allows me to use FlashFXP to connect to my new server. I have to have Passive Mode enabled, and there is no proxy designated in the settings for FlashFXP. Due to the ISP being run by idiots, the FTP is slow and after 6pmm each night it just won't connect for some reason. They claim there is no problem, though...

Using the ***.17.1.1 number in the ISA client software doesn't allow FTP to work, though. Whether in Passive Mode or not. I wanted to try entering the proxy details into FlashFXP but don't know how to - there are so many types of proxy to choose from and what port number do I put in? Ages ago, when I used FlashFXP on this connection, I'm sure I had similar troubles and choosing the correct proxy type in FlashFXP, and entering the correct port number may have helped, although it's an old memory so not to be trusted.

If anyone could help me set it up, I'd be over the moon cos I can't properly put stuff on my new server since I like to stay on the ***.17.1.1 number as it's much faster for browsing, and the other number isn't much good for FTPing anyway, since the maximum speed I get for transfers is ~1KB/s (I'm on a 512Kb/s connection, supposedly).

Even if someone can immediately see why one IP may not be working while another is, that'd help my argument with the ISP into getting this sorted, because other users are complaining but being told there is no problem. As I was told today: "Try using your FTP client without a proxy, or try using Internet Explorer to get to the FTP site. I can browse several FTP sites from your local router using both client software and Internet Explorer without a problem." Well, good for him, cos I can't, and nor can others with this ISP. I explained the problem in detail to him, so does he think that my computer is so naff that it can only FTP successfully through one IP address, but not another? Incidentally, the ***.17.1.1 IP which FTP doesn't work on is the IP we have been told we must use, as it's the closest to us (hence the faster speeds).

Also, is my computer somehow stopping the FTP client from connecting at all after 6-7pm? You see, in the day, it gets further than at night. I will post the logs for trying to connect, with passive enabled and then disabled (2 logs) in the day, and it'll show it gets as far as trying to LIST. After 6-7pm, however, it says Connection Lost as soon as it contacts the server IP address, it never gets as far as connecting and requesting username/password, etc!

I know they use bandwidth shaping software and increase the amount for P2P applications in the evening and throughout the night, so I reckon they are still capping the FTP bandwidth allocation too much (they did this before and then promised to allow more bandwidth for FTP), and that's probably why it dies completely at night, but what about this IP address not allowing connection.

Any info may help me get them to sort it out instead of fobbing everyone off, so it's over to you. Thanks.

Logs - actually, log for attempt with Passive disabled was identical, so just the one here:

WinSock 2.0
Connecting to www.********.com
Connected to www.********.com -> IP=***.**.**.** PORT=21
220- Welcome to the Xensia Hosting FTP Server.
220 ftp.us.xensia.net FTP server ready.
USER *********
331 Password required for *********.
PASS (hidden)
230 User ********* logged in.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
REST 100
350 Restarting at 100. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to initiate transfer
REST 0
350 Restarting at 0. Send STORE or RETRIEVE to initiate transfer
CWD /www.********.com/htdocs/
250 CWD command successful.
PWD
257 "/www.********.com/htdocs" is current directory.
TYPE A
200 Type set to A
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (***,**,**,**,4,122).
LIST
Connection lost: www.********.com

But sometimes it will say other things after the LIST is attempted:

Connection Failed - Data Socket Error (or something like that)

and others I can't recall.

Thanks all.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:27 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

upgrade FlashFXP to the latest available version and try again

Tags
client, connection, flashfxp, ftp, number

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: