Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #1
lars.fjell
FlashFXP Registered User

Default FlashFXP - Terminal server - slow graphical

Hi.

We have Flashfxp running on Terminal server 2008 R2, all latest version/updated. Noticed for a long time that Flashfxp is very slow to startup, the user will literally see the application being "drawn" up 3-7 times before the program is finally up (taking up to 2 mins). Applications like word, excel, outlook, Internet explorer, is not affected like this. This user is connected externally, so not running on lan speed, but we've got 100mbit in/out and user is on fibre (having atleast 20mbit ingoing/outgoing )
Is this a know problem? Is there a way to run flashfxp in simplified gui?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

How are the users accessing FlashFXP, is it via a remote terminal session or are they running FlashFXP as a RemoteApp?

The number one cause for a slow start in FlashFXP is when the "Default download folder" points to a path that contains an excessive amount of files/folders or if the path is a slow such as a network share.

This can be changed within FlashFXP from the main menu > Options > Preferences
Then from the Preferences dialog click on "General"
Now should see the "Default Download Folder" setting and from here you can change it.
Finally click the OK button to save the changes.

I happen to have a physical machine (non-VM) running Windows Server 2008 R2 and this is what I primarily use as a test bed for testing terminal sessions and RemoteApp compatibility and performance in FlashFXP. The machine was recently upgraded to a slower but more energy efficient CPU, AMD 910e @ 2.60GHz, with 8GB of ram, SSD boot drive and RAID 10 for storage. (The previous CPU was AMD x4 965 BE @ 3.4GHz)

Using the configuration above I am not able to reproduce the slow startup via either a remote terminal session or as a RemoteApp. My test was done with a laptop connected at 300Mbps over a wireless connection, though still over a LAN.

I will conduct some additional tests and try to simulate a higher latency/slower connection speed.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
lars.fjell
FlashFXP Registered User

Dear Sir.
Thank You for Your prompt reply. The user is accessing Flashfxp via remote terminal session. The default startup location was set to the default, users my documents on servers c:

I tried installing another gui ftp client and it started straight up.

I could ask the user to host a Teamviewer session (we own a license) if this is desirable.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

After extensive testing with my setup I was only able to come up with one scenario where I was able to reproduce the flicker on startup and its a rather specific situation (with the server under 100% cpu load) and launching FlashFXP as a RemoteApp on Windows 7 client. Though this same issue was not reproducible on Windows 10 client.

If the FlashFXP window is maximized when closed then this position is restored the next time its started and via a remote terminal session this causes several redraws and flickers during startup and increases the start up time by 14 seconds.

Time until main window is ready for user input.

normal: 4 seconds
maximized: 18 seconds

Though this situation does not appear when starting FlashFXP via a remote terminal server session.

However you might ask them to confirm whether or not the window is maximized and if it is maximized, restore the window back to normal, close FlashFXP and then restart it.

At this time I do not think remote access will help resolve the issue because there is no way for us to directly measure the timing during startup to see whats specifically causing the slow down.

I forgot to ask, but what version of Windows is the user using and is he using the Windows remote desktop client to access the terminal session?

Last edited by bigstar; 03-20-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
lars.fjell
FlashFXP Registered User

Hi.

The user is running on windows 7 Pro 64 bit using windows remote desktop connection client (with a vpn client running in the background). Version of Remote desktop connection is 6.3.9600, supporting protocol 8.1
Old 03-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Please give me a couple days to prepare a special test build of FlashFXP that I will provide you for measuring the start-up performance. Since this type of test does not already exist I will need to add the test case code and then verify the results.

Once I am done I will provide you with a portable copy of FlashFXP that can then be unzipped and run directly so that it will have zero impact on the current FlashFXP installation.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I have sent you a private message with additional details.
Closed Thread

Tags
flashfxp, server, slow, terminal, user

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: