Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
kroehl
FlashFXP Registered User

Default First server move: fxp and auto-chmod?

Hi there,

I´ll have to move to another server and can´t find out how to make a server to server transfer where the CHMOD from the old server-files will be set on the new server. We´re talking about around 40.000 files - so this would be...erm..helpfull
How can I do that with FlashFXP?

Thank you!
Old 11-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

chmod isn't preserved and if this is something you need then I'd recommend tar/zip the whole structure and then transfer the archive and then restore it.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:20 AM   #3
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

The best way to do this depends entirely on your situation.

FlashFXP (or any ftp client) should almost never be used to FXP files where is it important to preserve things like ownership, modification times, file system based flags and permissions, etc. However if you really had to you could create some custom commands to do it (read help file) assuming the target ftp server accepts and correctly handles the raw chmod/chown/whatever you wish to apply.

For a linux/bsd/etc system a better solution is to use the shell. tar is fully capable of preserving filesystem metadata and would be appropriate if the files are small (eg web server, text documents, emails, etc). If the files would create a tarball that is too large, or you don't have the space to store the extra tarbal, then I would suggest rsync. rsync will allow you to remotely sync from one system to another using any number of methods (ssh tunnel, ftp, remote server mount, etc) and with the correct flags will also preserve everything for you.

If you are working with windows based system then the task is much easier... simply map the network drive / remote system share / etc then cut/paste the files.
Closed Thread

Tags
files, flashfxp, fxp, move, server

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: