Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 04:52 AM   #1
Blubi
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Default Checking for LiveUpdate is auto-downloading current language file

When checking for LiveUpdate it is auto-downloading current language file which I don't like. When installing a new released version it should only overwrite the current used language file and not when just checking for a new version (or when downloading the new update while not installing).
Old 10-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Is there a specific reason for not wanting LiveUpdate to automatically update the language file?

Since language file updates are more frequent than program updates it made sense to us to include them in the Liveupdate routine, this way we can release FlashFXP with incomplete languages and the user gets updates for their language as they become available.

I ran some tests and discovered that the current behavior is not working exactly as intended.

The language file should only be updated if no software update is found, currently it is updating the language file regardless. if there's a software update then most likely it has the updated language file and even if it doesn't installing the update would replace the language file anyways.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
Blubi
FlashFXP Beta Tester

It should tell the user it found language updates and asks if the user wants to update them and not just do it for the user itself.
If a user wants to download language updates the user should use the feature for it in Option -> Language -> Download language.

Reason why I don't like it German one contains a few things I don't like and I always change the German.dlf (I hate the display in Language option "user created").
Old 10-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

By design the default language files are always replaced when an upgrade is installed. So even if LiveUpdate didn't automatically update the file there is still an issue of the file being replaced during an upgrade. Also when translating a language FlashFXP will first check to ensure the default language file is up to date so that the translation is being performed against the latest master copy of the language.

Then when the user makes some changes FlashFXP then compares this against the default language file and only the changes between the two are submitted back to the translation server.

A user edited language file is always preserved where-as the default language file will always be replaced.

If the main problem is that the user edited language name is "German (user created)" we can always change the way this is displayed. Quite honestly I was never satisfied with this.

We can do it one of two ways:

1. Use a menu divider to split the list and create a clear distinction between the default languages and user created languages.

2. Instead of appending "(user created)" to the end of the language in the menu we can use a symbol such as an an asterisk *
Old 10-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
X3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

1) Yes still feels overwork for something that doesn't need to be so overly complicated. (if anything at all)

2) Not sure if I agree that an asterisk is a proper indicator or even if it would be effective marker for most situations. for one its way too small and easily missed.

If the language translation isn't correct grammatically or otherwise as long as your version its accurate, submit as an updated translation so such fixes can be enjoyed by others, and then you no longer have to live with "annoying labels".

I would agree better ways can be done but wasting any Hours of development into this because of something you choose not to improve yourself are reason enough to waste development time that would be better used in real issues and improvements.

As someone that spent weeks getting a language translation properly fixed, I can tell you my biggest annoyance is that when some portion of and existing string is modified even by one letter of full stop or comma by Bigstar, the complete string translation is lost.

Or that The translation system doesn't handle Female/Male nouns (some languages use it) (this makes loosing/creating a specific string translation a real issue for accuracy) since you have no idea when the correct use of male/female and the translation is correct/accurate anymore for that use case.

You guys kill me. There is only one developer for the software, wasting his time is bad for everyone.

Last edited by X3; 10-09-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
Blubi
FlashFXP Beta Tester

X3, I already submitted the fixed ones when I switched to V5 twice and they got not applied. Therefore I only submit new strings.

Anyway like the change in Build 3779.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #7
X3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

@bigstar

I see what you done and removed the marker (user created) completely.

Given its only a selection menu entry indicator, I suggest a section Header instead of a simple separator on the selection menu.
The Header could say "user edit" and that also be a translatable string.

To make it less intrusive that header would be in some different style.

Something like

Code:
Translate ...
Import ...
Download/Update languages

Lang A
Lang B
Lang C
etc
etc
etc
etc

Lang A
Lang B
Lang C
etc 
etc 
etc 
etc
That way there is a clear separation so no one gets confused.

Tags
checking, current, file, language, version

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: