Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
DarkWraith
FlashFXP Registered User

Default Files transferring that aren't supposed to

This problem seems to have just started with my copy of FlashFXP. I wanted to transfer a file from my computer to the server, but FlashFXP started trying to transfer all of the files in that folder on my computer. Fortunately, it prompted me for overwrite of existing files and folders of the same name at the server, so I canceled the upload. I thought it was some kind of glitch, so I tried it again with a few files in another folder, and FlashFXP again started trying to upload every file. I even tried to grab just one file in a folder on my computer and drag it over to the same folder on the server side, and sure enough, FlashFXP started trying to upload all the files that were in that folder and all of the subfolders.

I could end up overwriting entire folders on the server trying to upload just one file. As noted above, I had never had this happen before. I looked for some kind of setting in FlashFXP related to this behavior, but I found nothing. Does anyone know why this is happening and whether or not it can be prevented?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

What specific version/build of FlashFXP are you using?

Did this problem start after upgrading FlashFXP? If so what version did you upgrade from?

What version of Windows OS are you using?

I assume you're selecting the file directly using the mouse and then dragging it over, what if you select the file with the keyboard first and then drag it over using the mouse does this exhibit the same behavior?

I vaguely remember similar problem being reported many months (maybe years) ago but I don't recall the specifics. I will see if I can find this info to refresh my memory and perhaps it might give some additional insight to this problem.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
DarkWraith
FlashFXP Registered User

Good afternoon, bigstar, and thank you for the prompt reply.

The version is 4.4.4 (Build 2043). Although I cannot tell you the exact date, an upgrade occurred quite recently. I use the software practically every day, and whenever there's an upgrade announced when I open the program, I allow the upgrade to run.

My operating system is Window 8.1, running on a robust computer.

To the best of my knowledge, this problem just began to occur yesterday. I had noticed nothing like it happening when I was uploading files several days ago. It's pretty obvious that it's happening (the computer and server directories both change to parent directories, and prompts start popping up for permission to overwrite files), so I wouldn't have missed something like this occurring before yesterday, I'm pretty sure.

As far as the method I was using for uploads, I did every kind of which I know. My first attempt was just to double-click on a local file to send it to the appropriate directory at the server (I've set double-click to that action). When that caused the initiation of a massive upload of files (which I immediately canceled at the Overwrite prompt), I tried to simply highlight the file and use the Transfer icon. The same thing happened. Next I tried the drag-and-drop from the local to the server, and the same thing happened: one file dragged over initiated the attempt at an upload of hundreds of files, starting in parent directories and all of the subdirectories under the parent.

I went into Preferences to see if anything in there specifies what happens when file transfer is initiated, but I found nothing related to this. I've used FlashFXP for years, and it's a workhorse of my everyday information technology work as an educator, a writer, and a professional photographer. I've never had anything like this happen before; and right now, I'm in something of an accumulating bind, as I have files (including podcasts of my University lectures and photographs for my e-commerce site) that need to get to my server.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I did multiple tests on Windows 8.1 and I have not been able to reproduce the problem.

Was there anything you did prior to double-clicking on the file? Such as use compare folder content feature or anything else?

Have you installed any new software that could possibly be conflicting with FlashFXP?

Have you tried rebooting your computer to see if maybe that might help?
Old 06-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #5
DarkWraith
FlashFXP Registered User

I thank you for your response to my inquiry. As mysteriously as the problem with unwanted uploads of files appeared, it has now disappeared, and FlashFXP is working normally.

It seems that after shutting down the computer several times over the past few days, the problem went away. That's the only action I have done, to the best of my knowledge, that could have made a difference. I suspect, although I'll probably never know, that it wasn't FlashFXP that was at fault: software doesn't just randomly change behavior on its own. FlashFXP remains the only ftp transfer program I would use and recommend.

Again, I am grateful for your response.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Thank you for an update on this issue.
Closed Thread

Tags
bulk, files, flashfxp, overwrite, upload

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: