Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
lafbiz
FlashFXP Registered User

Thumbs down Single Site / Multiple Logins

In the past, I was able to set up a site for Login Type Normal entry without entering a User or Password using the Site Manager. Now, if I leave it blank, it forces Login Type Anonymous. This is a major problem for both security and use. I have multiple accounts on servers I use and setting up a "Site" for each user account is inconvenient at best and quite annoying. For security, it reveals half of what is needed to log into a site if my computer is comprimized or stolen. Was this option for Login Type Normal, enter both User and Password disabled? It took a very useful tool and made it much less useful. I'm now at FlashFXP 4.4.1.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
X3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

You can password protect flashfxp, that way no information can be recovered for site logins + there is a setting which must be unselected to not reveal p-asswrds

Main menu > Sites > Security >set password.

Bare in mind that if you loose password all info is lost.

On another note, if you dont set user/pass by definition it is anonymous login, unless I misunderstand what you trying to do.

You can also not use site manager and use quick connect press F8.

I would have replied to your Feature suggestion at https://oss.azurewebsites.net/forum/tracke...cker_bugid=906, so please try not to cross-post in future, Not that I understand what you are asking for, we cannot make Flashfxp less secure, you can set it up any number of ways. It works.

Please explain better what you mean with screenshots how you use to do what you cant seem to do anymore, if that hasnt been covered in here.
Flashfxp versions you used before and now OS information etc.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
lafbiz
FlashFXP Registered User

You are working under a flawed assumption. In my role as an IT professional, be it developer, admin, or other, I routinely move files between my workstation and a set of 8 UNIX servers and 8 alternates using 2 to 5 different user accounts on each. Some accounts are limited, others can cause mass destruction. As such I need to know where and who I am at all times. Automated transfers use tools on the servers themselves. There are a few outside sites. One site, Normal access, no user id or password can be one server, multiple users entering user and password as allowed in the past. My site list has about 20 servers. My user/site combinations as I'm now being locked into exceeds 80. 80 can lead to inadvertent disasters, not to mention adjusting multiples if one server requires changes to protocol. 20 is manageable. I liked when No User and No Password did not necessarily mean anonymous. Now it is a major headache.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
X3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

You do not mention what version of Flashfxp allowed you to work like that
You also provide no version information from what your using now.
You show no screenshots or provide any information, that for me as a user I cannot form any better assumptions.

I am not aware of any way to do what you propose unless its done server side which obviously its not what your looking for. Sorry for trying to help, maybe someone who knows more will come in and help you.

Good luck and dont crosspost.

Last edited by X3; 09-20-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

This appears to be a bug, or a flaw in the logic. It is obvious to me that something isn't right.

Please give me some time to review the situation so that I can clearly understand exactly what's going on.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
lafbiz
FlashFXP Registered User

I'm now at version 4.4.1. Sometime in the 4 series, the ability to set up a site to allow entry of User and Password on connection disappeared. If the site is already set up this way, both User and Password are requested. The change happened within the Site Manager now changing Login Type always to Anonymous when User and Password are blank even though Normal was specified.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I have corrected the behavior and the logic now appears to be working as intended.

Prior to the "login type" field a blank user and password would prompt the user for input and this worked fine until we added support for X509 certificates, most servers require a user/pass along with the X509 certificate however awhile back some servers changed this to only require a username and a X509 for access, making the password optional depending on the FTP server and configuration. For servers that didn't require a password it made sense to leave it blank, however as a result FlashFXP prompted for one on connect.

Our solution was the "login type" field.

* Anonymous - no user/pass required.
* Normal - no user or pass required but if the user is left blank then it defaults to anonymous.
* Prompt for password - The user is prompted for the password. if the user is blank then this is prompted as well.

When a site is saved in the site manager the user/pass fields are evaluated and if they were blank the login type was updated to anonymous, but as you can see above the logic indicates that 'prompt for password' also allows a blank user/pass and in this situation the login type should not have been changed.

Please try one of the following depending on the type you're using, I suspect you're using the portable edition..

Download FlashFXP Portable Edition

Download FlashFXP Standard Edition

You will of course need to make sure that the login type is set to "prompt for password"

Last edited by bigstar; 09-20-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
lafbiz
FlashFXP Registered User

I'll either need to download from home or wait for the next update. The sites are blocked at work.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I updated the links to another domain, please try now.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
lafbiz
FlashFXP Registered User

Got it. I use standard. The Site Manager issue appears to be fixed. Will see how it works over time. Thanks.
Closed Thread

Tags
flashfxp, login, site, type, user

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: