Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
chema
FlashFXP Registered User

Default Edit files without extension

Hi!

i want to edit files with no extension in a hex editor, but i won't touch the editor settings for files with extension. '*' as file mask doesn't work (but should!?). is this somehow possible?
Old 05-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
X3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Welcome to forums

I been asking myself that same question, for Linux files that dont have extensions and contain text (mostly) and FlashFXP using notepad++ and the internal flashfxp association in Options/file associations and even similar with notepad++ itself.
I have tried adding various masks "*" as the extension but it doesnt work cant use the period but of course files without extension dont have periods, if you ever find a way let me know.

Edit
I did find this http://www.techtronic.us/blog/post/t...n-application/ and it looks rather excessive.

cheers.

Last edited by X3; 05-30-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

For files without extensions you have a couple of options.

1. Typically these files do not have a Windows file type association (because they don't have an extension) so they're opened using the Default file viewer and Default file editor which is defined within FlashFXP under Options > Preferences then General > View and Edit File.

One downside to this solution is that now every file without a file association shares the same program, which may or may not be appropriate for the content within the file. In an upcoming FlashFXP v5 release (currently in beta) you'll be able to select "Prompt to select program" from this dropdown list.

2. Add each exact file name and assign a specific file editor/viewer From within FlashFXP under Options > File Associations, Add the exact filename in the mask field i.e. Makefile and any additional files you want to open with this specific program and adjust the remaining settings as desired and then click the Save button.
Closed Thread

Tags
edit, editor, extension, files, mask

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: