Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
bman4
FlashFXP Registered User

Default Same Filename transfer rule

I'm a bit lost with something I'm sure is elemental for others..
I transfer file.jpg to ftp, obviously if I try to transfer same file with same name again, I get the There is a file with the same name in this location.

But when I try to transfer at FTP from one dir to another dir, same filename.. I don't get the warning!

Now, I'm aware of the File Transfer Rules options.. BUT, I don't see an option for files / comparison of "same name". But yet a transfer from my system to remote folder will yield a same name comparison/check.

Do, I have to explicitly write this rule out?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Are you transferring the file between two FTP connections or are you moving a file within a single FTP connection from one folder to another?

If you're moving a file the file transfer rules do not apply, but if you're transferring the file then the rules should apply.

When performing a file transfer, The file transfer rules always compare the file name.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
bman4
FlashFXP Registered User

Default Using sister's Win XP

I have connected to a shared host ftp aswell as a dedicated server ftp, and when moving a file example.jpg to another dir that has the file already there I get no warning, it just says that it did a rename.. which that doesn't happen.. it just replaces old file with file moved.

I looked in prefs for "if filename exists".. but there is none.. can I please get some help. I'm already haiting being on my sister's windoze for 2 weeks

or is this just on Win XP?

edit.. looks like BigStar answered this question partly.. yes, I'm 'moving' a file from directory on ftp to another on the same ftp.. I'd rather get a warning about this vs it just overwrites the old file!
Is there a way to make a rule for this.. I know its a move and not a transfer.
I also JUST noticed that this does not happen when using sftp.. strange.

Last edited by bman4; 07-17-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

When performing a move operation on a file\folder located on a remote host we do not perform any check to determine if a file\folder already exists with an identical name in the new location.

Most FTP servers will disallow this and the operation will fail. However some FTP servers will replace the existing file with the one being moved. This behavior is not consistent from one FTP server to the next, and depending on the server software this may be an adjustable configuration setting.
Closed Thread

Tags
file, filename, ftp, rule, transfer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: