Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
SamKook

Default Displaying accurate speed in status bar?

I was wondering if there was a way to force FlashFXP to accurately display the speed in the status bar.

It seems to almost always go in increments of about 25KB/s and since my upload speed is terribly slow(80KB/s) it makes a big difference when it's rounding up. It almost always alternate between 51.2 and 76.8KB/s and I would love to be able to see the actual speed.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

https://oss.azurewebsites.net/forum/genera...e-posting.html
Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
SamKook

Sorry about that, not sure how I missed that post.

It was with FlashFXP v4.1 on WinXP, but updating to the latest one fixed it.

I should have tried that in the first place, sorry to have wasted your time.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
SamKook

I might have spoken too soon. The speed will show itself properly when under about 5KB/s, but as soon as it get higher than that, it's only displayed at 12.8KB increments(which it half of what it was with v4.1).

Using FlashFXP v4.2.2 build 1760, unregistered on WinXP SP3
No firewall(except on the router) or antivirus and using a DSL 6Mb down, 800Kb up

Last edited by SamKook; 05-04-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

The speed reported in the statusbar is based on a 4 second rolling average. This is used to help normalize the speed shown in FlashFXP, often with some internet connections you'll see data being transmitted in blocks with delays between each block, rather than a continuous stream. i.e. block, block, delay, block, delay, delay, block. We use the 4 second average to normalize the speed and eliminate the so-called yo-yo effect. I am not 100% sure about v2.1 but I know v3.x used a 20 second average.

Another factor is the TCP/IP Buffer size setting in FlashFXP, If this buffer is too big or small it can effect the way data is received by FlashFXP skewing the transfer speed shown in the statusbar.
Options > Preferences Dialog > Connection > TCP/IP Buffer size

Sometimes when upgrading from an older version of FlashFXP this setting can be set incorrectly.

We recommend using the (default) setting but often times a larger or smaller value will provide better results, not just by increasing the transfer speed but also smoothing out the transfer speed in the statusbar.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
SamKook

Ok, now I understand why it does that, thanks.

I would have liked to have the option to disable the normalization of the speed since I wanted to see how a simultaneous upload with another software was affecting it(if it struggled and there was a big gap between speed or if it was fairly stable), but it's not very important.

I checked my TCP/IP values and they were at (default). BTW, what's the actual value of (default) in case I would want to try to tweak it after doing some research?

P.S. v2.1 was a typo, I meant 4.1
Old 05-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Default uses the default value defined by the OS which by default would be 8KB on Windows XP.
Closed Thread

Tags
bar, flashfxp, speed, status, upload

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: