Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
mong.gregory
FlashFXP Registered User

Default Failed SSL/TLS negotiation, disconnected

* FlashFXP v[4].[1].[3], build [1658], [X]registered, [ ]unregistered, [ ]pirated
* OS [X] Windows 7, [ ] Vista, [ ] WinXP, [ ] Other (specify)
* Running behind hardware router/firewall [X] Yes & Model [No idea], [ ] No, [ ] Not sure
* Running software firewall [X] Yes, Name [ ], Ver. [ ], or [ ] No === I suspect so, but I've no idea what it is since it's my work network
* Running Antivirus [X] Yes, Name [McAfee] or [ ] No
* Internet Connection [X] ADSL, [ ] CABLE, [ ] Other(specify)

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up a Flashfxp client to connect to a NAS on my home network, but having some strange problems. I suspect it's due to being blocked by my work firewall/network, but I'd like to confirm.

I can connect locally via my home PC, and also when I'm logged into a VPN service (And my friend was able to connect via browser ftp).
When i try to connect on my work PC I receive the following errors:

When trying to connect via FTP using Explicit SSL (Auth SSL):
Code:
[R] Connecting to Home -> IP=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx PORT=21
[R] Connected to Home
[R] 220 NASFTPD Turbo station 2.x 1.3.2e Server (ProFTPD) [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
[R] AUTH SSL
[R] 500 Syntax error, command unrecognized.
[R] Failed SSL/TLS negotiation, disconnected
[R] Connection failed (Connection closed by server)
When trying to connect via normal FTP:
Code:
[R] Connecting to Home -> IP=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx PORT=21
[R] Connected to Home
[R] 220 NASFTPD Turbo station 2.x 1.3.2e Server (ProFTPD) [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
[R] USER Rune
[R] 331 User name okay, need password.
[R] PASS (hidden)
[R] 530 Login denied
[R] Connection failed
It seems strange to me that it actually allows it to connect, but then fails the authentication/password checks. Maybe there's some specific port being blocked by my work?

I'd appreciate any ideas on how I might be able to fix it/get around it.

Regards,
Greg
Old 10-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Your 1st log snippet shows that your ftp server does not understand "AUTH SSL" command. Are you sure your server support explicit SSL and if so, have you configured it on your server?

Your 2nd log snippet shows that you provided either wrong username or password.

If any ports were blocked, you wouldn't be able to connect on those ports at all.

If you suspect firewall is somehow messing with your connection, try to move your ftp server to port other than 21 and see if that makes any difference.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
mong.gregory
FlashFXP Registered User

Default strange...

Hi MxxCon,

I definitely have SSL turned on and supported. I can connect to the server via a non-work PC. I'm also 100% sure that the password was correct. It's only from the work PC (behind the work firewall, etc) that I have trouble connecting. I was logged into my work network via VPN, where it was failing to connect. As soon as I disconnect the VPN, then I can connect without any issues.

I just find it very strange that it only partially fails. It seems to allow the connection, but fails on the authentication as if only certain commands are being rejected/blocked.

I haven't tried a different port yet, because I'm not sure which ones are actually open from here. I'll give that a go.

Edit: I've now tried multiple different ports, and none of them work. They all have the same problem...

-Greg

Last edited by mong.gregory; 10-24-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Based on your IP I see you are coming from EMC. If that's the case I wouldn't be surprised that they have some sort of transparent filtering/proxing setup on their network. Perhaps you should contact your IT support and find out for sure if you need to configure any proxy settings in FlashFXP(or any other ftp client), or if there's something else going on your work network. You should also probably make sure that you are even allowed to connect to personal ftp servers...some companies can be really paranoid.

Last edited by MxxCon; 10-25-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
mong.gregory
FlashFXP Registered User

Yep, EMC. I'm not sure it's worth contacting my IT support, because it's for personal use and they're not likely to be amenable to helping with that. You're right that they're pretty paranoid.
I'd just like to have access to my files at home, from work (via FTP). I was hoping to find some way around/through it.

Thanks for the respones. Guess I'll just live with it for now!
-Greg-
Closed Thread

Tags
connect, flashfxp, ftp, home, [r]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: