Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
stormyrave
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Default FlashFXP 4.1 question

BigStar,
I have upgraded my flash in winxp and now my bandwidth inside my network has dropped substantially. Instead of feeding my server at 10-12 mb a sec, im only getting 128 or so Kbs. Can you tell me how to fix this please? I have the older version in my windows 7 (dual boot machine) and it works perfectly. I am hesitant to upgrade in 7 until i know it will work. thanks.

in winxp - version 4.0.1 build 1648
in win7- version 3.6.0 build 1240

Gigabyte board
3.0 Dual Core AMD
8 gigs RAM 1033
Old 09-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

When upgrading from FlashFXP v3.6 its very important to make sure the TCP/IP buffer size setting is set back to default, This setting was flawed in v3.6 and doesn't work as intended and now that its fixed an incorrect TCP/IP buffer size setting can hurt performance.

This setting is located in the Preferences dialog under the connection section.
Both should be set to (default) and then click Apply, now connect to a site and test the changes.

The (default) value is capable of maxing out a gigabit local network connection.

Typically you would increase the TCP/IP buffer size in situations where you have a high latency. The higher the latency the more you may benefit from a larger TCP/IP buffer size. For example a wireless connection has a higher latency than a wired connection, provided the quality of the wireless signal is good you'll see faster speeds with a larger TCP/IP buffer, however if the wireless connection has packet loss and poor quality then a smaller TCP/IP buffer may work best.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a redesigned network stack compared to Windows XP and your results can vary a lot even with the same settings in FlashFXP. I would recommend trying the portable edition of FlashFXP on Windows 7.

Also FlashFXP v3.6 does not support Windows 7. In Windows 7, FlashFXP v3.6 runs in compatibility mode and we've seen that applications can perform quite differently when running in compatibility mode vs not.

In some cases applications that are not compatible with Windows 7 will run in a special mode that can make them very special, I've seen applications running in compatibility mode that are able to bypass certain 3rd party firewalls and network filters. In one such situation FlashFXP v3.6 worked fine on Windows 7 but the newer FlashFXP v4.0 was being blocked by a parental control software that was blocking the connection because the host/ip was not allowed.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
stormyrave
FlashFXP Beta Tester

after doing as you suggested, i still have the issue of low speed inside my network. This is a hardwired line thru the router and the previous version worked at speeds nearly 10mbps. Now im lucky to get 2. Any other suggestions?
Old 10-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Are you using active mode or passive mode in FlashFXP?

This setting is located in the site manager > Options > Data Connection Mode

Can you please test active mode and passive mode and let me know if one is faster than the other.

Last edited by bigstar; 10-13-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
stormyrave
FlashFXP Beta Tester

when i go to passive mode it wont work altogether. port failure
Closed Thread

Tags
build, dual, flashfxp, version, winxp

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: