Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
jwfhg

Question Schedule Get of particular files then move to folder possible?

Hi

Apologies if this is the wrong location to post this but i couldnt see another.

I'm trialling FlashFXP as i need something that'll do the following:

- Connect to FTP
- Navigate to /files
- Download all *.XML files ignoring contents of subfolders - the files need to go to folder C:\xml
- Move all *.XML files in /files/ to /files/done/

I've done some searching but couldnt make sense of what people were recommending - saving the file as an fqp or something?

I then need to schedule this to run everyday at a particular time which i can do with Task Scheduler via command.

I've tried Curl, WinSCP, CoreFTP plus countless others but haven't been able to automate this process as yet.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

standard FTP protocol does not have commands to move/copy files between dirs on remote server.
Also there's no way for you to conditionally 'chain' commands..you wouldn't want to move files to /done/ if they weren't properly downloaded.
rather than pulling files, you are probably better off to figure out how to script pushing them. that way server would know if it successfully sent those files, and then move them to /done/
Old 05-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
kittydalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxxCon View Post
standard FTP protocol does not have commands to move/copy files between dirs on remote server.
Also there's no way for you to conditionally 'chain' commands..you wouldn't want to move files to /done/ if they weren't properly downloaded.
rather than pulling files, you are probably better off to figure out how to script pushing them. that way server would know if it successfully sent those files, and then move them to /done/

Thanks a lot for the information. It helped me too.

Professor Katherine Bodenhamer Anderson

Last edited by kittydalt; 07-03-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

This can be done to some extent but there is no guaranty that the files were transferred 100% without any errors.

For reliable connections or local networks the likelihood of errors is quite rare but can still occur.

Below is an outline of how to transfer all the *.xml files from a folder and skip all sub folders.

First we need to define a selective transfer rule set.
  1. From the main menu > Tools > Selective Transfer > Edit
  2. Rule Set, click the Add button and we'll name this rule xml files only no sub folders and click OK
  3. File List, click the Add button and we'll add *.xml and click OK
  4. File List, Action set to Transfer
  5. Folder List, Action set to Skip
  6. Now click the Save button to save the changes.
Next we'll create the transfer queue.

In this example we'll pretend that the remote folder is /private/xml/ and the local folder is c:\backup\private\xml\Queue the folder named xml from the remote server into the c:\backup\private\ folder.
  1. The name in the queue will appear as /private/xml/ and the target as c:\backup\private\xml if done correctly.
  2. Now right click on the entry in the queue window and select edit, change the selective transfer rule to xml files only no sub folders and then click the ok button.
  3. Save the queue file by right-clicking on the queue and selecting Save As, now you can load this queue whenever to perform the above task, or setup a repeating schedule via the main menu > Tools > Schedule..
At least in theory that's how it would work, however while writing this guide I found a bug in 4.0 that prevents this logic from working correctly The bug causes the xml folder to be skipped, when only sub-folders within it should be skipped.

As for moving *.xml files from one location to another this is currently not possible. You can en-queue move and rename operations but they must be performed using the exact filename.

We're looking at different ways of chaining commands as well as adding more flexibility to allow these type of operations for future releases.

Last edited by bigstar; 05-24-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
automate, download, file, schedule, type

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: