Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
barroca
FlashFXP Registered User

Unhappy upgrade ... lost all setups

hello,

i LOST all data when I upgrade to last version !

I'm a big fan of flashfxp [3 personal licenses] and LOST my ftp data! how I recover? it is possible??

all the best
joao barroca
Old 03-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

depending on your installation the installer will make a backup of your active settings and place it in a folder named backup, In addition the installation may now be using a different set of data files instead of the the ones in your flashfxp program folder and it may just be a matter of moving them to the right location. you can very your data folder from within flashfxp > help > about > info tab
Old 03-06-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
chris_68
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstar View Post
depending on your installation the installer will make a backup of your active settings and place it in a folder named backup, In addition the installation may now be using a different set of data files instead of the the ones in your flashfxp program folder and it may just be a matter of moving them to the right location. you can very your data folder from within flashfxp > help > about > info tab
It just happened to me too. Unacceptable!

In my case, the backup directory is EMPTY!!!

How do I get my info back?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
chris_68
FlashFXP Registered User

barroca,

I've found my old sites.dat

check "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\FlashFXP\3"

Good luck!

bigstar,

You guys need to really migrate old settings to the new installation. I just about lost my freakin' mind over this!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
barroca
FlashFXP Registered User

Oh Chris!
But how I can import this sites.dat data?
And .... this folder in my install [vista] is empty ............................................
Old 03-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Its not so easy to handle migration in all cases depending on the situation, the installer is always run as administrator on vista, your installation might require the data files to be moved into your personalized user account, however the administrator account doesn't know anything about it. Moving these files over must be done manually.

The installer will never replace or overwrite your data files.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
Seome
Inicom Networks Support
Ultimate Scripter

Many Vista users are encountering this problem. The settings should migrate automatically but Vista has some issues that can cause migration to not be able to see the original settings. The installer will not delete existing settings without copying them into a time stamped backup folder but the location to store these settings has been changed for better Vista compatibility.

Look under Help/About, Details tab to see where FlashFXP is looking for data files.

Then locate your old sites.dat and other FlashFXP data files, this is likely under "C:\program files\flashfxp in Vista". Copy the sites.dat and quick.dat files from this location to the FlashFXP data folder. Other files can be copied over as needed also.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #8
barroca
FlashFXP Registered User

Unfortunately all my data is really lost ...

But other trouble appears: yesterday I begin build all setup again. today when I run flashfxp ALL DATA IS LOST AGAIN!

Flashfxp needs some special command to save ftps/pwds etc????
Old 03-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #9
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

If data is lost when closing flashfxp, the problem is most likely that flashfxp does not have permission to actually modify the files in the data folder location (because of UAC). The solution is to change the permissions of the current data folder location so that flashfxp can modify the files properly, or change the data folder location to somewhere that flashfxp does have permission to alter.

The suggested data folder location under Vista is C:\ProgramData\FlashFXP\ i believe.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
barroca
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayCuts View Post
If data is lost when closing flashfxp, the problem is most likely that flashfxp does not have permission to actually modify the files in the data folder location (because of UAC). The solution is to change the permissions of the current data folder location so that flashfxp can modify the files properly, or change the data folder location to somewhere that flashfxp does have permission to alter.

The suggested data folder location under Vista is C:\ProgramData\FlashFXP\ i believe.
I try in my vista pc ... [what is uac ?]
I setup to not read only mark [all files and folders] and ok
I don't know if it works, I talk tomorrow
But it is a big bug of flashfxp, IMHO.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:00 AM   #11
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

it's not a bug.
10000s, if not 100000s of users use flashfxp in vista w/o problems and just select few can't figure out how to install it correctly.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:20 AM   #12
barroca
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxxCon View Post
it's not a bug.
10000s, if not 100000s of users use flashfxp in vista w/o problems and just select few can't figure out how to install it correctly.
sorry mxxcon, i disagree
i don't install - i make the automatic upgrade ! and the errors and problems appears.
i have 3 licenses of flashfxp ... you have some advice to fix the problems? i think the company will be better if stay attention with troubles and users. when you release the last version? how you know how many users have troubles??

the worst way to fix problems is telling some like that: 'users can't figure out how to install ... etc' .

joao barroca
Old 03-10-2008, 06:29 AM   #13
Out2lunch
FlashFXP Registered User

Ive lost all my site too, the \AppData\Roaming\FlashFXP\3 folder is empty, I run this on Vista x64, this is totally unacceptable. Im a web developer and had 100's of clients in that db.

What can I do???
Old 03-10-2008, 06:42 AM   #14
barroca
FlashFXP Registered User

Unfortnately I'm not alone ....
hey guys of company: follow this simple rule: only 1 in 100 users will be report troubles here .
Out2lunch, my friend: I can't recover my setups ...

joao barroca
Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #15
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by barroca View Post
how you know how many users have troubles??
i don't know how many users have this problem, but i do know that flashfxp is used by HUGE number of people. download.com shows 3,184,909. obviously not all registered, and multiple redownloads, but even if it's 50% of that number and even if 1 out of 100 complained about their lost sites, this forum would've been flooded.

i'm sure if you'll search your drive for sites.dat, you'll find your original file with all data intact.

or you can simply restore from your last backup.

Tags
data, flashfxp, ftp, lost, upgrade

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: