Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #16
Seome
Inicom Networks Support
Ultimate Scripter

Yes, search for the file "sites.dat" to locate your site information if FlashFXP is not seeing it, and then either use the menu option Sites/Import Sites to bring that file back into FlashFXP or just copy it on top of the file in the Data Folder location.

Unfortunately in Vista, it is not possible for the installer to see files in a users folder and so it can not copy them to the new location. We moved to the new location for the default storage as it is a requirement for Windows Vista Certification.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #17
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out2lunch View Post
Ive lost all my site too, the \AppData\Roaming\FlashFXP\3 folder is empty, I run this on Vista x64, this is totally unacceptable. Im a web developer and had 100's of clients in that db.

What can I do???
FlashFXP installer is designed to always create backups of datafiles before making any changes. Check for backup directories in FlashFXP related folders (program files/program data/appdata/etc) and/or perform a file search for sites.dat, flashfxp.ini, etc.

I do have a question though, have both of you experienced this through using the 'automatic update' ?

I am not quite sure how that works these days, but if it does not launch a full installer, then it is certainly possible that there is a change made during the upgrade process that is causing problems (even if its just creating confusion or moving data files or changing where flashfxp looks for data files etc)
Old 03-11-2008, 06:35 AM   #18
Out2lunch
FlashFXP Registered User

I have searched for sites.dat and the only one I have is in the present data folder and it contains nothing apart from the normal start up folders, and includes a FTP site for a very old setup to a server that was deleted from my everyday working sites db as it doesnt exist any more.

So I guess I have to contact all my clients look incompetent and ask for all their log in details.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #19
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

you don't have to do that...just restore from your last or previous to last backup
Old 03-12-2008, 12:06 AM   #20
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

The installer will never touch any existing data files, this is very important because if we tried to modify them with the installer it would break things. so it's simply not done.

The only explanation I can come up with is that either the files were manually deleted by mistake, deleted during an uninstall (you are prompted to remove them), or they have permission of administrator and your user account doesn't have access to see them.

The last explanation is very possible on windows vista because FlashFXP v3.4 ran in compatibility mode on vista and FlashFXP v3.6 doesn't.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #21
Seome
Inicom Networks Support
Ultimate Scripter

I've been trying to duplicate your situation and hit a weird issue. Searching in Vista on a version 3.4 install will not find the sites.dat file on some per user installations. Changing the folder setting options to not "Hide protected operating system files" allowed me to browse to the location C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\FlashFXP\3 which contained the site files. For some reason searching was still not able to find the files there.

If you are not on a domain it will likely be AppData\Local instead or even AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files or ProgramData to find the FlashFXP folder.

Vista has a weird quirk in which all installs must be performed as Administrator but when they are doing so they can no longer see the original user accounts personal files. Version 3.4 and earlier were not vista compatible in this respect which is causing the issue you have experienced here.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #22
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

It seems really odd (and stupid) to me tha Vista would not show search results (or find them) for files that CAN be navigated to for ANY reason. This makes searching in Vista half useless if you ask me. You wouldnt be searching for something if you knew where to find it. Also seems just as stupid for something running as administrator not to have any (even view) access to user accounts personal files.

Vista is just annoying period.

This could definately explain why a number of people experiencing upgrade issues cant find old data files.

Perhapse a full list of (known) possible locations where data files may be on Vista can be added to that Vista sticky to help people find them.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #23
Seome
Inicom Networks Support
Ultimate Scripter

For default v3.4 and earlier installs the folder used is generally C:\Program Files\FlashFXP

If the user did an install to the "Users Application Folder" or a per-user install, the files will be in %appdata%\FlashFXP\3. You should be able to just type that in Vista's search field or the old Start/Run textbox to open the location.

With Vista, the installer can't see the appdata location to pull files from. Actually as the installer runs as "Administrator" account, it can't even know which user is running the installation in the first place.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #24
dovie
FlashFXP Registered User

ok, I found my old sites.dat file, overwrote the new one, but when i load up FlashFXP, it still see the "new one" i.e.: not the one I just put there. When I look at Sites.dat in Textpad, it's the right info, but when I load up FXP, it's not seeing it.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #25
Seome
Inicom Networks Support
Ultimate Scripter

Did you put the old sites.dat file in the location Help/About, Details shows is the Data Folder?

You can try using the menu option Sites/Import Sites within FlashFXP and just import the entire sites.dat file into the Site Manager.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #26
dovie
FlashFXP Registered User

yes, I overwrote the Sites.dat file that was right there.

I also tried the import sites thing, but it was looking for .ini files and I couldn't see the .dat file. In the end, I uninstalled and reinstalled FlashFXP, and managed to get it to work. I've also saved my good Sites.dat file in a totally remote directory in case I ever need it again!
Closed Thread

Tags
data, flashfxp, ftp, lost, upgrade

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: