Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
antifreeze

Default fxp: site to site

* FlashFXP v[3].[40], build [1145 ], [x]registered, [ ]unregistered, [ ]pirated
* OS [ ] Vista, [ ] WinXP, [x] Win2K, [ ] Win98, [ ] WinME, [ ] Other (explain)
* Running behind NAT/router [ ] Yes & Model [ ], [x] No, [ ] Not sure
* Running firewall [x] Yes, Name [Outpost], Ver. [40971], or [ ] No
* Running Antivirus [x] Yes, Name [NOD32] or [ ] No
* Network [ ] xDSL, [x] CABLE, [ ] Dail-Up, [ ] Other

The whole reason I bought FlashFXP was because it was the first client I came across which said it supported site to site transfer, and that was something I needed at the time. However, it wasn't until I bought it that I realised the ftp sites themselves have to support 'fxp' transfers (I thought it was a new evolution of the ftp protocol).

My webhost is running the latest version of cpanel (which handles the ftp access I think). I have two web accounts on the same host (different servers though). I have never been able to FXP between the two accounts. It gives the error:

[R] 500 I won't open a connection to 85.13.*.* (only to 212.40.*.*)

In the FAQ section of FlashFXP help, it reads:

Q: When trying to transfer files from one site to another I keep getting this error 500 illegal port command.

A: The FTP Server is set up to not allow or doesn't support FXP. Located in the Site Manager on the Advanced tab, you will find the option "alternative fxp method". By enabling upload/download (depending on the direction of the transfer), you may be able to get the server to allow FXP. Note: It is common for some sites to only allow FXP in one direction and not the other. By enabling alternative fxp method, this problem is sometimes solved.

I do not see that option anywhere though. I have v3.4.0 (1145). Is there nothing I can do within the program to make the fxp transfers work? I do not want to change webhost.

If I can't get the fxp transfer to work then I am going to buy AceFTP pro, because it has more advanced file collision rules (regarding my other recent post). And to be honest, I'm a little annoyed that fxp transfer's dependency on servers wasn't more clearly stated before I bought FlashFXP.

Cheers.

Last edited by antifreeze; 10-25-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

In newer version of FlashFXP this option is located on the Transfer Tab in the Site Manager. Apparently the F.A.Q. is out dated.

I don't think the alternative FXP method will work in your case because at least one of the sites need to support site to site transfers for it to work.

Most ftp server do not support site to site transfers by default anymore, it's been considered a security issue and it must be turned on via the ftp configuration.

The trial version of FlashFXP is the full version with a time limit, we do this so that the user can test out every aspect of FlashFXP before purchasing a copy. I'm sorry that you didn't try it before you bought it. We strongly encourage users to try FlashFXP first.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #3
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

You should note that the majority of webhost ftp access portals (regardless of the specific software used) are specifically set up NOT to allow fxp (or ftp bounce) because they concider it an abuse of the service. I would suggest you contact your host about it, they may be willing to enable it for you given the circumstances (backing up content from one server to the other within their network). Some hosting service providers actually provide a seperate vpn-type method for clients to move files between multiple servers they have within the company. The advantage of using the method they provide is that it is almost always free bandwidth, where as direct fxp using an ftp/fxp client would count towards any quota you might have.
Closed Thread

Tags
flashfxp, ftp, fxp, site, [x]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: