Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
BoulderGuy

Default Synchronize based on date?

I'm using an evaluation version of FlashFXP, Version 3.4.0 (build 1145). I love the program but seem to be missing one thing. In the "file exists" configuration I see that you can set rules for file replacement based on file size (smaller or larger), but is there a way to do so based on the file date and time?

I'm looking for something similar to Macromedia's "synchronize" function in Dreamweaver. In other words, if the local version of a file is newer, it should replace the version on the FTP server. If the version on the FTP server is newer, it should replace the local version.

Is this possible?

Thanks...Jim (hoping to send my registration fee soon!)
Old 04-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

there are a few reasons why it wasn't implemented..i think one of them was how to present such logic in a manageable way. right now we have 9 combinations(upload/download/fxp - smaller/same/larger) with 3 or 4 choices in each. now image how complicated that will become if you'll add logic for date/time for older/same/newer...that will be a total of 81-108 combinations.

if you can think of a way to present such logic to a user, feel free to share
Old 04-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
BoulderGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxxCon View Post
there are a few reasons why it wasn't implemented..i think one of them was how to present such logic in a manageable way. right now we have 9 combinations(upload/download/fxp - smaller/same/larger) with 3 or 4 choices in each. now image how complicated that will become if you'll add logic for date/time for older/same/newer...that will be a total of 81-108 combinations.

if you can think of a way to present such logic to a user, feel free to share
I'm not sure I can provide much advice except to take a look at what Dreamweaver does. (You can download a fully-functional 30-day trial version at www.adobe.com). With it you highlight a folder in the directory tree (either local or FTP side), then select a synchronize command. It then compares dates and time of the selected files and folders, then presents a pop-up window showing the files that should be transferred given the time and date stamps. Each file/folder in the list has a checkbox next to it, pre-checked so that it will be uploaded/downloaded, but the user can uncheck files individually.

My usage of an FTP client is primarily to keep local copies of a Web site synchronized with the server version. For this usage, the file size is irrevelant...what's important is the date. If you have multiple people working on a site, you want to get files that have been changed by other developers, and put files that you've changed that are newer than the server version.

Thanks for listening! --Jim
Old 04-11-2007, 12:03 AM   #4
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

this is probably not the best place to discuss your workflow, but perhaps you should implement cvs/svn, especially in an environment with multiple developers. always work with versioning control system and upload to web server only for final testing/production...that's how we do it

Tags
based, file, flashfxp, ftp, version

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: