Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
jonb1
FlashFXP Registered User

Default FlashFXP password

I've just installed Windows vista (Home premium) on my machine and reinstalled also FlashFXP. Everything worked fine the first day but now FlashFxp asks for password when i launch the program. I don't know if I enabled the password feature accidentally but how can I disable it again, not knowing the password. I've tried to uninstall/reinstall FlashFXP but the uninstall process failed, saying the "FlashFXP.ini" file can not be read.

Any suggestions??
Old 02-24-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Danes
FlashFXP Registered User

How about uninstall it. Do a complete regclean. And delete any entry in the reg, searching the reg for anything with "FlashFXP".

When thats done, you should be able to install it again with no problem..

I really hope this works..
Old 02-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb1 View Post
I don't know if I enabled the password feature accidentally but how can I disable it again, not knowing the password.
IF what you said is accurate, there is no way to disable application protection password without knowing it. it's not just a switch that you can flip off...your sites file is encrypted with that password and without knowing it there is no way to get it back.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

The password feature isn't a simple on/off option, If it's set all of your data files are encrypted using the provided password. If you forget or lose this password there is no way to recover the encrypted data files. When you set the password it asks you to enter the password twice.

The only way the password feature can be turned on is if someone at the computer set it. Unless you're experiencing corruption in your data files that is being interrupted as being password protected. We've never heard of this happening before.

I'm not quite sure why the uninstall would be failing.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
jonb1
FlashFXP Registered User

Thanks for your response. I was aware of that disabling or resetting the password without knowing the old one, would not give me access to my data files, otherwise the password feature would be useless.

Any way I have found out why FlashFXP is asking for a password. It's not because this feature has been enabled in Flash FXP. It is a security feature in Windows Vista called "User account control" that is blocking the program's access to some files.

When a program is launched, this feature is supposed to ask the user if he really wants to launch the application and permit an access to his computer. This only applies to programs which Windows Vista doesn't recognize as a safe program. Windows is also adding a small security mark to the desktop icon for these programs, signifying that the program is unsafe and/or unrecognized.

In some way this isn't working for FlashFXP, although there isn't any security mark on the desktop icon, and Windows doesn't ask for a permission to launch the program, it is blocked anyway, and this is probably also the reason for why the uninstall failed.

If I disable the "User account control" (requires restart) FlashFXP is working normally again and is not asking for a password, and there are no problems installing or uninstalling the program.
Enabling it again gives the same problem as before.

I don't know if this is general problem on computers running Vista.
My configuration is:
Dell Inspiron 6400
Windows Vista Home Premium
FlashFXP 3.4 final
Core2duo T5600
2048 MB Ram
Closed Thread

Tags
accidentally, enabled, feature, flashfxp, password

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: