Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 01:26 AM   #1
nifty-stuff
FlashFXP Registered User

Question I'm ALMOST Ready To Puchase BUT.....

Hi All,

I'm pretty close to purchasing FlashFXP, but having a hard time getting over a few items. My top gripes are:

1) I can't drag / drop files from FlashFXP onto different icons on my toolbar.

2) Synchronize browsing: System doesn't remember this setting so I have to go up to the menu and select this to turn it on for each session of the program.

3) When I drag a file from a folder or from my desktop (outside of FlashFXP) and into FlashFXP to upload to my account it doesn't automatically transfer the file, but puts the file in the queue. I have to remember to click the "go" button to transfer the files.

Other than that, a very clean / efficient program.

Any thoughts if / when these items will be fixed / addressed? Also, any other sales planned or coupons someone could email me for FlashFXP
Old 10-12-2006, 07:17 AM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifty-stuff
this is the time i hear of anybody expecting such behavior..i never see any application do that.
Quote:
2) Synchronize browsing: System doesn't remember this setting so I have to go up to the menu and select this to turn it on for each session of the program.
i don't know what version of flashfxp you are using, but site manager has a checkbox to always enable sync browsing.
Quote:
3) When I drag a file from a folder or from my desktop (outside of FlashFXP) and into FlashFXP to upload to my account it doesn't automatically transfer the file, but puts the file in the queue. I have to remember to click the "go" button to transfer the files.
F6, General, Actions.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:16 PM   #3
nifty-stuff
FlashFXP Registered User

MxxCon, thanks for the prompt reply!

Regarding your comments:

1) Maybe we're talking about different things? Every other FTP application I've used allows you to drag files from the folder directory and drop on a program icon to have that program open it up. I guess this doesn't work with FlashFXP.

2) Very excited if this is in a new version! I'm running 3.4.0 build 1145 and looked EVERYWHERE within the site settings in the site manager but couldn't find it. Can you direct me to it?

3) This was almost too easy!!! Thanks so much! (edit, is there a way to drag/drop transfer from desktop?)

If I can get #2 resolved then I'll purchase tonight!

Thanks again.

Last edited by nifty-stuff; 10-12-2006 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:23 AM   #4
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
2) Very excited if this is in a new version! I'm running 3.4.0 build 1145 and looked EVERYWHERE within the site settings in the site manager but couldn't find it. Can you direct me to it?
F4, pick your site, Options tab, last checkbox.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:40 AM   #5
nifty-stuff
FlashFXP Registered User

Hmm... still don't have it. Any other ideas? See screenshot attached
Attached Thumbnails
I'm ALMOST Ready To Puchase BUT.....-flash-jpg  
Old 10-13-2006, 01:11 AM   #6
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

ah doh
i'm using to-be-released beta version which had that feature added one build ago.
bigstar should be back by monday and he'll probably release new public version then or soon after.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:02 AM   #7
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Do you mean dragging a file from the local explorer side, onto the taskbar, waiting for windows to change focus to that application, then moving into the application and releasing so that application attempts to open the file?

If so this seems to work fine for me, if not then im a little lost as to what you are talking about.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #8
nifty-stuff
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayCuts
Do you mean dragging a file from the local explorer side, onto the taskbar, waiting for windows to change focus to that application, then moving into the application and releasing so that application attempts to open the file?

If so this seems to work fine for me, if not then I'm a little lost as to what you are talking about.

Hi DayCuts: Yes, I believe we're on the same page. I'm trying to drag a file from my local file explorer side of FlashFXP and dropping the file on one of the icons in my toolbar. For example, I may want to drag a file onto my notepad icon to open the file in notepad, or Dreamweaver to open with that program, or IE to view the file.

I think I'm getting use to setting up file extensions and using the view / edit settings to open files with my top two programs. It would just be nice to have FlashFXP work seamlessly with Windows like I've experienced with other apps.

MxxCon, glad we got that sorted out. I thought I was loosing my marbles. Not sure who bigstar is, but if he can get this put into a new build early next week that would be GREAT!

Thanks guys!
Old 10-14-2006, 06:39 AM   #9
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

There actually seems to be a bug with this behavior.... when i tested before it was just a quick test and it worked fine.... however with a little more fiddling it is actually very inconsistant. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it wont.

Here is my guess as to what is causing it...

Working on the assumption that flashfxp uses an internal flag or variable of some sort to know when to allow certain actions. It seems the setting/unsetting could be improved a little. What is 'seems' to be doing is updating this flag everytime one of the 'switch' buttons are used to change to or from local browser, however this seems to be irrelevant of the status of the other side.

For example, if both sides are local browsers, and the dragging behavior is working fine, when one side is switched to remote browser, the flag is changed and the dragging behavior no longer works in the remaining local browser side. If you set the other side back to local it will work again. If you set both to remote, then one to local, it works. If you then set the second to local it continues to work. But as soon as one side is switched to remote the flag is changed and the remaining local browser side no longer functions completely as it should.

I'm sure Bigstar will look into this when possible.

All tested on 3.4.0 build 1145 / windows 2000

I am of corse assuming that flashfxp handles this internally and its not windows itself, so i could be wrong.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:22 AM   #10
nifty-stuff
FlashFXP Registered User

Looking forward to The Mighty Bigstar's comments on these items. Sounds like most of my "issues" can be resolved.

Thanks all!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
nifty-stuff
FlashFXP Registered User

Hey, where's BigStar? Is he on vacation? Love to get feedback on the items above.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:58 AM   #12
KappaYeates
FlashFXP Beta Tester

I've just purchased it and feel great.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #13
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

1) This is a bit of a complicated issue. FlashFXP maintains an internal drag/drop functionality that is seperate and different than the one used in windows explorer. Only one drag/drop handler can be used at any given time. One way we compensated for this issue is by switching to the drag/drop method windows explorer uses when both left and right view panes are set to local browser, In any other mode the internal drag/drop is used.

2) The latest beta release of FlashFXP which can be downloaded via the customer portal offers a per-site option to remember the sync. browsing state.
Closed Thread

Tags
file, flashfxp, remember, transfer, upload

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: