Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 12:45 AM   #1
Leroy Weber
FlashFXP Registered User

Default Automating FlashFXP

I purchased FlashFXP to help me with a single problem. I have a server outside of my office that creates a backup file of its data every weekday. (into a single (really big) file.) I have installed FlashFXP on the remote server and I have programmed the Windows scheduler to FTP the backup file to my office each night. The file is about 2.5 GB in size. Almost every night something happens to the connection and the file I receive is truncated. Is there a setting to cause FlashFXP to realize that it has not transferred the entire file and to pick up where it left off until the entire file is sent? I have found in the "File Exists" preferences an "auto overwrite" feature for uploading and an "auto resume" choice. I guess what I want is an "auto overwrite and auto resume" choice.

Thanks
Leroy Weber
Old 03-06-2006, 08:10 AM   #2
Hetfield
FlashFXP Scripter

I don't think you want that "auto overwrite and auto resume" feature. For what you desribed just the "resume" feature works great . In the options of FlashFXP (F6) under the transfer tab you can specify how many times you want FlashFXP to try to upload this backup file. BTW your ftp server needs to support the APPEND command, otherwise it can't resume...
Old 03-06-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

if your internet connection between server and client fast enough to transfer 2.5gig within allowed time period?
look at status logs and see why file wasn't transferred completely.
every day your backup file has same name?
if so, you might have an issue where flashfxp will try to "resume" a file because backup from today is larger than yesterday...
maybe it's a better idea to name backups based on a date when they were created and then reconfigure flashfxp to transfer not a single file, but specific backup directory. this way flashfxp will be able to resume yesterday's file and transfer today's one w/o confusing them.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
Leroy Weber
FlashFXP Registered User

Thanks MxxCon.
Yes, The backup has the same name each time. Monday.bac for Monday, Tuesday.bac for Tuesday etc.
I want to keep the file structure this way. I also want FlashFXP to overwrite the Monday.bac with Monday.bac next week. That part is working fine. What is not working fine is the Backups are always the same size on the remote server (2.5GB) but they are different sizes after the transfer on the local server through my FlashFXP connection. Once in a while I get the whole file. (About once a week) but most of the time the file is much smaller. Where do you set the "allowed time period"? Also, whenever I get a truncated file, I would expect to login to FlashFXP and see the remainder of the file still in the queue, but the queue is clean and there are no error messages. How do I check the logs on the remote (Sending) server to see if it thinks the entire file was sent?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
Leroy Weber
FlashFXP Registered User

This is for Hetfield,

Sir,
I need the FlashFXP to overwrite the Monday.bac file every monday night. That is why I need the preference in the Upload set to "auto overwrite" If the transfer fails for some reason, how do you tell FlashFXP to "try again until you transfer the entire file that you are sending and overwriting the file that was there"?

Thanks in advance,

Leroy
Old 03-09-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
How do I check the logs on the remote (Sending) server to see if it thinks the entire file was sent?
well, you'll need to look into that ftp server's configuration to fingure if/where transfer logs are stored...

could it be that when you initiate file transfer, backup is still going on...that's why you get truncated files w/o apparent error messages?
Closed Thread

Tags
auto, file, flashfxp, ftp, resume

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: