Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
angst
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Default sites.dat relativly unsecure?!

hello. i found i tool from "dfg-crew" from 2002 that can decrypt sites.dat from my ffxp version 3.3.5 b 1110 easily.

thats bad.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
Hetfield
FlashFXP Scripter

It's bad you didn't enable the application password protection if you're afraid of this . When you enable the application protection the sites.dat becomes strongly encrypted.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
angst
FlashFXP Beta Tester

yes sir. that was the deal. thank you!
Old 03-05-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
ORDL
FlashFXP Registered User

I have also seen FlahFXP "helper applications" that actually transfer your sites and passwords to a third party server. Basically they steal your accounts. You'll want to avoid "helpful" programs like this as well.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
angst
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDL
I have also seen FlahFXP "helper applications" that actually transfer your sites and passwords to a third party server. Basically they steal your accounts. You'll want to avoid "helpful" programs like this as well.
can you go "in medias res" please and / or prove your statement? as long as its crypted as mentioned above from hetfield, and if there is no "master key" to decrpyt it, what shall happen? and normally a good firewall will give me a message if some application would send my "sites.dat" to some third-party-server. moreover i dont think / hope that ffxp itself will send my sites.dat to their own server. but that discussion is already done, i guess.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst
can you go "in medias res" please and / or prove your statement? as long as its crypted as mentioned above from hetfield, and if there is no "master key" to decrpyt it, what shall happen?
there were a few password decrypting apps for flashfxp that would steal your sites.dat.
but any good antivirus now should detect them.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
angst
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxxCon
there were a few password decrypting apps for flashfxp that would steal your sites.dat.
but any good antivirus now should detect them.
this decrypting tools can also decrypt a sites.dat that uses "the application protection" where Hetfield was talking about?
Old 03-05-2006, 05:25 PM   #8
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

The application password protection uses strong encryption, Which basically means the password used for encryption isn't stored anywhere, so an attacker must guess it by brute force. Provided your password can't be found in a dictionary, I figure it would probably take years to decrypt it.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #9
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst
this decrypting tools can also decrypt a sites.dat that uses "the application protection" where Hetfield was talking about?
no. they were designed for regular "scrambled" passwords. not encrypted sites.dat
Closed Thread

Tags
1110, 3.3.5, ffxp, sites.dat, version

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: