Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 06:56 AM   #1
Jae

Default Slow transfer speeds in FLASHFXP

* FlashFXP v3.0, build 1015, unregistered
* OS WinXP SP 2
* Running behind NAT/router: Yes & Model: Hawking HBR49
* Running firewall: Dont know maybe hardware firewall with router.
* Running Antivirus: No
* Network: CABLE

Hi, I live in the netherlands and I use flashfxp for file transfer with my friends.

Lately i've been having weird download speeds with flashfxp

I have it set on passive mode, or else i cant connect to the ftp server. if i dont use passive mode, the ftp connection stops at this point:

[R] 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.

i have a router. first i had a sweexbroadband router, so i thought maybe is this cheap router's fault so i went and bought a Hawking broadband router, but i had the same problem

the download speed doenst pass 50kb. while my connection can handle 650kbp down/ 75kbp up. its a cable connection.

while im downloading with flashfxp i try a speedtest, it says i can download 450~ to 500~ so that means its not my connections fault. the problem continue's even if i close my sisters PC and disconnect it from the router. the router has no QoS software on it, i didnt put on any speedlimits or restrictions, windows firewall is off. the ftp im downloading from is 100mbit down/100mbit up. my login account doenst have restrictions either, if another friend accesses the same ftp with my account he has 300 to 400 kbp download.

what do i do? please help me in this weird matter,

Thank you.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:47 AM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Try adjusting the TCP/IP buffers in the preferences. Results vary, some people have better results with the largest, while some with smaller.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:47 AM   #3
Hetfield
FlashFXP Scripter

So you are using "FlashFXP v3.0, build 1015, unregistered" while v3.2 is released a very long time ago now? Not to mention that it's impossible to run a version that old unregistered... Please do us all a favor, try the newest build without a crack

EDIT: Bigstar, maybe i'm wrong but i thought that setting wasn't available till v3.2.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:06 AM   #4
Jae

no its not cracked i have to wait 30 sec everytime before i can open it. then press i agree then i can use it. bigstar i dont understand more details?
Old 09-27-2005, 08:15 AM   #5
Hetfield
FlashFXP Scripter

Well for your information, the trial is only for 30 days, so after that you *have* to purchase the software, no matter you can still use it or not.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:18 AM   #6
Jae

you are not very helpful Hetfield...
Old 09-27-2005, 08:25 AM   #7
Hetfield
FlashFXP Scripter

Well perhaps that has something to do with people who want to have support and everything without paying a little for this excellent software...
Old 09-27-2005, 08:27 AM   #8
Jae

the ftp server im connecting to is running Linux... could that be a problem?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:33 AM   #9
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

You say "I use flashfxp for file transfer with my friends." and you also say "my connection can handle 650kbp down/ 75kbp up."

So i have to ask the abvious questions first:

What kind of connection does the friend running this server have, can your friends connection even send faster than 75kbp?
Have you spoken to the ftp server owner, maybe your account on the server is limited to 50k?, if not do other people get the same low speeds from that server?
Have you tried other sites to see if this is a site specific problem or something bigger?
Might seem silly, but doesn't hurt to ask. Do you have your transfer speed limited in flashfxp prefernces, or limited by an external bandwidth monitoring/controlling program?
Do you get the same speeds with other ftp clients other than flashfxp?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:07 AM   #10
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

First and foremost to get the best possible speeds you need to upgrade to the latest version of FlashFXP v3.2.. I totally overlooked the fact that you were using v3.0.. Lots of performance tweaks have been done since v3.0.. Also if you continue to use FlashFXP past 30 days you are required to purchase it, The 30 second delay after 30 days is only good for a short period.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:14 PM   #11
Jae

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayCuts
You say "I use flashfxp for file transfer with my friends." and you also say "my connection can handle 650kbp down/ 75kbp up."

So i have to ask the abvious questions first:

What kind of connection does the friend running this server have, can your friends connection even send faster than 75kbp?
Have you spoken to the ftp server owner, maybe your account on the server is limited to 50k?, if not do other people get the same low speeds from that server?
Have you tried other sites to see if this is a site specific problem or something bigger?
Might seem silly, but doesn't hurt to ask. Do you have your transfer speed limited in flashfxp prefernces, or limited by an external bandwidth monitoring/controlling program?
Do you get the same speeds with other ftp clients other than flashfxp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae
. the ftp im downloading from is 100mbit down/100mbit up.
the router has no QoS software on it, i didnt put on any speedlimits or restrictions,
my login account doenst have restrictions either, if another friend accesses the same ftp with my account he has 300 to 400 kbp download.
I said that before. please read instead of just rushing your eyes over it.

I've tried other servers and the speed is fine just with their servers running on linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstar
First and foremost to get the best possible speeds you need to upgrade to the latest version of FlashFXP v3.2.. I totally overlooked the fact that you were using v3.0.. Lots of performance tweaks have been done since v3.0.. Also if you continue to use FlashFXP past 30 days you are required to purchase it, The 30 second delay after 30 days is only good for a short period.
Tried it same result
Old 09-27-2005, 08:41 PM   #12
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
I've tried other servers and the speed is fine just with their servers running on linux.
Have you also tried other ftp clients to access this same server, do you get the same results with them?

If this speed issue occurs only with this particular site and your speeds are fine with other ftp servers then i think you can rule out a problem with your router. If you get the same low speeds to this particular site when trying other ftp clients then you can also rule out a problem with flashfxp.

You say other people get better speeds using your account than you do, if it possible that there is just bad routing between you and the server? (note:this is completely beyond your control). This can and does occur, even amoung users on the same service provider. BBB in sweden for example has extremely bad routing, and often quite shaky routing even within sweden and amungst other BBB users.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:35 AM   #13
Jae

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayCuts
Have you also tried other ftp clients to access this same server, do you get the same results with them?

If this speed issue occurs only with this particular site and your speeds are fine with other ftp servers then i think you can rule out a problem with your router. If you get the same low speeds to this particular site when trying other ftp clients then you can also rule out a problem with flashfxp.

You say other people get better speeds using your account than you do, if it possible that there is just bad routing between you and the server? (note:this is completely beyond your control). This can and does occur, even amoung users on the same service provider. BBB in sweden for example has extremely bad routing, and often quite shaky routing even within sweden and amungst other BBB users.
hm i guess i just have bad routing then :/ thx guys.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:50 AM   #14
abracadabra
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

it is routing problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
connection, download, flashfxp, ftp, router

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: