Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

General Discussion Need help? Have a problem? Let us help you. Bug reports and feature requests should be made using the Bug Tracker or Feature Tracker

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 11:11 PM   #1
Truespeed

Default Rewrite This

So I proceed to log into an FTP site with SSH2. I fire up my FlashFXP and low and behold it doesn't support SSH2. Oh, but wait, it does support SSL so that should be good enough, right? No. I then search the forum to see if SSH support is going to be incorporated into the product and what do I find? The exact same answer I found when the issue of Tabs was raised - "We would have to re-write the entire program". Meanwhile, FTP clients that were once inferior to the great FlashFXP are passing it by with tabs and SSH support.

By the way, what's your refund policy? I'm in need of a client that supports SSH2 and FlashFXP doesn't fit the bill anymore.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:20 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

"rewrite this" eh?
flashfxp's refund policy is you use trial version for 30days, if you want to use it past that, you buy it.

this is not a rental where you get your deposit money back after you done using it.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:40 PM   #3
Truespeed

Then perhaps they should get on with the business of "Re-writing it". I just seem to see that same reply over and over again. "We would need to re-write the application". If the incorporation of SSH and tabs require that the application be rewritten then why not branch the current version and re-write it. It's going to have to be rewritten eventually so why not start now.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:48 AM   #4
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truespeed
It's going to have to be rewritten eventually so why not start now.
do you think bigstar is just sitting around with thumbs up his ass?
you don't seem to know what's going on in flashfxp's development so please keep "just do it!" comments to yourself.

new version isn't going to be released in a day of coding. it takes time.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
Truespeed

Such animosity. My you certainly are over protective of FlashFXP aren't you? I like the application, also, but it's a bit annoying when freeware programs like the FileZilla client support SSH2, as well as many other protocols, and FlashFXP doesn't. Yes, FlashFXP is a better application overall, but it's competitors are just passing it by. Do you think they re-wrote their application?
Old 08-09-2005, 10:29 AM   #6
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Truespeed, patience.

One thing that i've learned about open-source software (that could be applicable, more or less, to closed-source/traditional software):

1) "If you need a feature, suggest it and wait an answer"
2) "If you can't wait, code it and share it".
3) "If you can't code it, wait until someone code it".
4) "If you can't wait, shut up".

With FlashFXP i advise to follow point 1) and the second part of 3). At the end you'll probably see the feature implemented (like, for example, language translations )
Old 08-09-2005, 05:18 PM   #7
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Such animosity. My you certainly are over protective of FlashFXP aren't you?
no, i'm going to hug and kiss you when you start threads titled "rewrite this" and then ask for refund just becuase flashfxp's development speed doesn't suit your needs, with the whole tone of your post trying to be offencive.
Quote:
Do you think they re-wrote their application?
yes they do. many popular open source projects undergo major restructions/rewrites every so often.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:49 PM   #8
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Just a few things to take into concideration...

- Open source projects often have much more developers, allowing one person to work on one thing as another works on something else, or in the case or things like rewrites all work together, this means that developement has the potential to progress much quicker.
- Many of these other clients with support for what you are asking are quite young in comparison, and chances are the developement was started with such future features and multithreading in mind, in order to avoid the need for massive rewrites later on.
- Some of them also have much larger developement teams making such a task much less time consuming, flashfxp does not have this luxury.
- Adding support for new protocol's requires a significant amount of time to research the protocol standards, understand exactly how it works and to plan it's integration before developement can even be started.

I also look forward to an optional tabbed interface, ssh/2 and scriptability amung other things. But at the same time i understand it will not be an overnight progression.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:52 PM   #9
Truespeed

You know what I think? I think they're busy "rewriting" FlashXP Professional and putting all of the features in there. And yes, FlashFXP users will be screwed unless we "upgrade" to the Professional version.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:45 AM   #10
slash
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Truespeed: As I recall, (can't find where this is actually stated on the new site) by purchasing FlashFXP, you're guaranteed free upgrades to all future versions of FlashFXP. There's no reason to suspect that a "professional" version is being written.

And the no-refund policy was quite explicitly stated in the FlashFXP License Agreement.
Quote:
Additionally, NO REFUNDS will be given after purchase of the SOFTWARE. You must utilize the 30-day evaluation period to decide if the SOFTWARE meets your needs and is compatible with your systems.
You did read the License Agreement instead of just clicking past it, right?
Old 08-10-2005, 05:33 AM   #11
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Actually, iirc, there was a mention of a possible pro version at some point. I think what was said at the time was that the only way a full rewrite of the program could be justified would be to create such a 'pro' branch with a possible 'small' upgrade fee.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:35 AM   #12
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
You know what I think? I think they're busy "rewriting" FlashXP Professional and putting all of the features in there. And yes, FlashFXP users will be screwed unless we "upgrade" to the Professional version.
no, this is not what is happening and stop throwing such accusations.
if you'd spend 5 mintues reading this forum you'd see that bigstar is busy working on multi-language version.
1st you post pretty rude msg, then you say you like flashfxp, now you post accusations
this is going nowhere, so i'm closing this thread.
Closed Thread

Tags
flashfxp, ftp, ssh, ssh2, support

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: