Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

FlashFXP v5.x Public Beta Please direct all comments, suggestions, bug reports, and feedback for public beta releases to this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
KappaYeates
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Default setup is garbled

Chinese ver. Windows 7, all unrecognized characters during the setup process.

ffxp build 3660.
Attached Thumbnails
setup is garbled-qq-20130827093341-jpg  

Last edited by KappaYeates; 08-26-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I suspect that this content is shown because the version check failed. Though I'm not entirely sure why, on failure another message is supposed to be displayed indicating the version check failed. Perhaps this message is coming from your firewall or proxy?

The reason the text is garbled is because the installer isn't unicode, we looked at upgrading to the latest version of the installer with unicode support however we could not justify the 1.6MB increase in the setup size that the new version of the installer added. Making the FlashFXP v5 installer around 7 MB.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
X3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Any messages installer generated will still be in English, any thing from generated by the system will likely be garbled depending on the OS language.

Or do I misunderstand the issue?

So in large I dont think this message is from installer but rather being mangled by it, which then question is why is anything non English system generated being allowed at this stage?

The reason I know for sure, this message is NOT from the installer is because the large RED portion there is no equivalent in English text nor the rest, so this message is caused by sistem + installer allowing system to interfere where no system input is required. (Im my flawed opinion)

However having said that, the beta installer is incomplete at best in my observation of its many bugs which have been passed on. The version check feature is non functional even in Stable releases.

This message a result of version check can be simulated if you turn off the Internet connection.

This message is a result of the version check if you click next (on versioncheck) and then back, then next again

In none of these messages (installer generated one can see any red text etc.

Last edited by X3; 08-27-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
KappaYeates
FlashFXP Beta Tester

oic, it was from our firewall and I've no idea how to deal with it.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
X3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

I dont think you can avoid it tbh, though Im sure it will eventually be fixed. It would help to know details on your setup to help reproduce problem and lead to a better fix or workaround.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
KappaYeates
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Because of the firewall, I need to configure a HTTP proxy to access the internet, and of course during the software setup process there is no place to specify it, so that it is. Maybe ffxp can do better with I18N?
Old 08-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #7
X3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Thanks for that.

I believe a fix of sorts is on its way. Instead of letting the system display messages through the installer, because the installer is not unicode aware, instead a generic error message will pop up, idk if that is final but it should resolve the issue...
This will prevent garbled text when the OS is by default a language like Chinese or greek etc, on this particular installer step.

Stay tuned.

Tags
3660, build, ffxp, process, setup

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: