PDA

View Full Version : force TLS ?

NalgeNunc
01-09-2003, 10:04 AM
Hi,
first of all thanks for your amazing FTPD.
Here are some features I would like to see in later builds of ioFTPD:

- an option to force TLS, so noone could connect without encryption. And a Flag which checks if Data Channel encryption is enabled on client side ( PROT P / PROT C ).

- detailed transfer logging ( its on yer todo list ;)

- running ioFTPD as native 2k/XP service without INSTSRV and SRVANY or other tools.

darkone
01-09-2003, 10:20 AM
After recieving several emails from angry administrators, I've decided not to implement 'install as service' option. There will be actually nasty splash screen in the future, just to notify people what they have running :/

I'll add option for allowing only secure logins for specified accounts 'soon'.

Linkster
01-09-2003, 10:57 AM
I think ioFtpd is well on its way to becoming a premier windows FTP server. However, I think you are making a bad decision about the native service. As a systems manager, i refuse to put anything on my servers that is not a native service. I assume they are worried about "rogue" servers being installed and them not knowing about it...learn how to freaking manage your network, and take care of your servers, and you won't have an issue. I'm asking that you reconsider this...maybe do a poll and see what the true overall response is rather than just a few vocal people.

Thanks

CoMa
01-09-2003, 04:34 PM
I'm 100% ok with Linkster :confused:

One of my biggest wish is the ability for ioFTPD to run as native 2k/XP service... without splash screen (i mean it's possible) !!!

do a poll, please !

Stand Alone Apps, NT Service, User choice... etc...

"After recieving several emails from angry administrators..." :rolleyes:

Zer0Racer
01-10-2003, 04:05 AM
Yup, I agree with Linkster on this one.

FTPServerTools
01-10-2003, 11:36 AM
As long as everyone knows that mapping to a network drive then normally isnt possible.. :( So says micro$oft..

deemef
01-10-2003, 11:38 AM
I don't really care about service, one more thing in the taskbar wont really bother. . .

what I don't like at all is splash screen. . . I hate having such things jump up at me, specially if there are a few different progs in autostart and each of those has there own splashscreen *grrr*

think about it, please:rolleyes:

Stardog
01-10-2003, 11:44 AM
I'm also with Linkster. A splash screen would be fine with a short pause, but don't make me press a key to acknowledge it. It shouldn't be your problem if sys admins don't know how to secure their systems. They shouldn't be doing that job if they can't handle it.

The 'force TLS' option would be great, I look forward to that.

darkone
01-10-2003, 04:19 PM
I quess I don't need poll here then.. =p Linkster, btw any change that I could get ffxp license :p I hate that 30sec nag screen & I don't have visa to register :/

Linkster
01-10-2003, 04:34 PM
check your mail. :D

darkone
01-10-2003, 09:52 PM
-

darkone
01-17-2003, 12:16 PM
Force TLS is implemented in 4.0.3 :)

InVisage
01-17-2003, 12:40 PM
w00t, gimme :D

darkone
01-17-2003, 12:52 PM
There you go ;D

NalgeNunc
01-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Im happy now, thanx a lot :)

Onemangang
01-27-2003, 09:15 AM
Hi again.

As i also wrote in a post yesterday, I am also totally 100% for making it a service and can only agree with Linkster & Co.

But maybe you could combine both things.
You can check for Administrator rights or for the Username to
be "Administrator" before going on installing as a service.

As far as i remember its needed anyway to install anything
important like services and drivers. So i dont really see why
those "angry Admins" as you called them should have any
problems.

Offcause if they run all accounts with "Admins" rights,
But then they should look for a new job..... :D