PDA

View Full Version : faster directory caching wanted

Sash!
04-02-2006, 05:06 AM
Hallo!

First I have a question how ti check the version of my ioftod? I looked through the .ini bud din't find and I use an old installation after my windows has been reinstalled. So it works perfectly.
My PC has 800 mhz CPU and 256 ram, but it works cool :)

Unfortunatelly the directories are too many in last weeks (over 3000 in a folder) and the browseing when there is no cache gets really slow. What can I do? Is there a way to improve the things? A friend told me that glftp has the oprion to remove counting the dirsize but such a script for the io I couldn't find. So, can u please help me :)?

neoxed
04-02-2006, 05:14 AM
The name of the file archive will tell you (ioFTPD-beta#-#-#r.zip).

Directory caching (currently) cannot be disabled. To speed things up, you can either rearrange the directory structure to space things out or purchase better hardware.

The use_dir_size option for glFTPD is used for calculating the size of directories; ioFTPD's directory cache does a lot more than just that. It also reads and caches modification/creation times, file sizes, user/group ownership, VFS permissions, and directory contexts (e.g. symlinks and hidden settings).

Sash!
04-02-2006, 05:25 AM
Too bad :( Isn't there an option that saves the cache so that it is not needed to recache everytime it gets restarted? And makes the cache new after 3-4 days, maybe a week?

neoxed
04-02-2006, 05:25 AM
No, there isn't. Not even anything remotely close.

Mainly because there is no guarantee that the saved cache is still relevant the next time ioFTPD is started. It's not a practical or reliable solution.

Sash!
04-02-2006, 05:28 AM
Hmm, and one more question - how can I forward an ammount of ports (maybe 1024-2048) ? I have 2 pcs, the one is a router and I want to forward the ports to the faster one, which is behind the router, to test the ftp that way :)

Sash!
04-02-2006, 05:28 AM
I tried through windows, but it can forward only single ports and not a whole range. is there an application?

neoxed
04-02-2006, 05:45 AM
Hmm, and one more question - how can I forward an ammount of ports (maybe 1024-2048) ?I have no idea, it's your network - not mine. Forwarding ports depends on whatever software that "router" PC is running (e.g. Windows ICS, FreeBSD/OpenBSD with pf, a firewall based platform like m0n0wall/pfSense). Find the manual/readme for whatever you're using and start reading.

Sash!
04-02-2006, 05:47 AM
It's set by the winxp - ICS i suppose, it is in the options tab of the IP settings. Should I test the others?