PDA

View Full Version : problems connecting to server

imsoparanoid
08-18-2005, 03:21 PM
no one can connect to my ftp server. they keep getting this error:

WinSock 2.0 -- OpenSSL 0.9.7g 11 Apr 2005
[R] Connecting to Tim's Private FTP -> DNS=imsoparanoid.hopto.org IP=24.42.126.163 PORT=2100
[R] Connected to Tim's Private FTP
[R] Connection failed (Connection lost)
[R] Delaying for 120 seconds before reconnect attempt #1

my server uses SSL which i know is not the problem since people could connect before.

i'm not sure what exactly to look for since i don't know that much about scripting. please help

neoxed
08-18-2005, 03:26 PM
SSL is only available in registered ioFTPD versions, and according to your vBulletin user title you haven't purchased ioFTPD.

imsoparanoid
08-18-2005, 04:23 PM
i removed SSL but still no luck with people connecting

neoxed
08-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Have you edited the etc\host.rules file to allow external connections? See: Installation step #6 (http://www.inicom.net/pages/en.ioftpd-documentation.php?s=2)

Is ioFTPD bound to the specified port? From a command prompt, type the following:

netstat -ano | find "<ioFTPD's PID>"

To obtain ioFTPD's process ID, you can use the tasklist utility or Task Manager:

tasklist /FI "imagename eq ioFTPD.exe"

imsoparanoid
08-19-2005, 05:06 PM
i don't really understand what installation step #6 is trying to say.

6. Open ..\etc\Hosts.Rules and edit it to allow connections from external IPs. In latest unregistered package, default rule is DENY. Comment that default DENY line (or simply remove it!) and uncomment the default POLICY ACCEPT 2 line. Restart ioFTPD.exe if it was running (modifications to Hosts.Rules require a complete restart).

i pretty much only understand the last part regarding th restart of ioFTPD.exe

if you can just send/post and edited copy of hosts.rules, that would be excellent.

thanks in advance. i think i will be purchasing ioFTPD in the near future if i can get a permanent connection to the web. (right now i have to borrow my dads cable modem until i can get a wireless adapter for my machine)

neoxed
08-20-2005, 01:04 AM
The default hosts.rules contains the following (I highlighted the related portions of it):

# Default policy
#
# POLICY ACCEPT CONNECTIONS_PER_IP
# POLICY DENY
#
#POLICY ACCEPT 2
## PLEASE REMOVE LINE BELOW
POLICY DENY

# Classes
#
# CLASS CLASS_NAME TOTAL_CONNECTIONS_PER_CLASS
CLASS NORDIC 25
CLASS ADMIN -1

# Rules
#
# ACCEPT I|H IP|HOSTNAME CLASS_NAME CONNECTIONS_PER_IP
# DENY I|H IP|HOSTNAME LOG_STRING
#

ACCEPT I 192.168.1. ADMIN -1
ACCEPT I 127.0.0. ADMIN -1
ACCEPT H .fi NORDIC 2
ACCEPT H .se NORDIC 1
ACCEPT H .no NORDIC 1
DENY I 192.168. "Banned network address"
DENY I 10. "Banned network address"
DENY H .tw "Access from taiwan is prohibited"

The top portion labelled Default policy is the rule taken if there are no host/IP specific rules for the connecting client.

You're supposed to remove (or comment) the POLICY DENY rule and uncomment the one above it, POLICY ACCEPT 2.

imsoparanoid
08-20-2005, 08:20 AM
i got it.