View Single Post
Old 10-16-2002, 02:25 PM  
Zero-Point

PJO3434,

From my experience, FTP server configurations become difficult (well not difficult, but people do not do it correctly) when both the client and server are behind NAT routers. The client nor server know what their external IP is unless you specifically tell it.

For arrangements of this (like you are), I have had the greatest success when the server is set to use PASV mode. The server will tell the client what IP and port to connect to, rather with PORT, the client tells the server what IP and port to connect to. With PASV, the server must be manually configured to send the client the correct IP and port to connect to.

So, when you (client) are be a router, you do not know your external IP (only internal) automatically. You must somehow tell the server what IP and port to use/connect to. Maybe this is what "Limit local port range to:" and "Bind sockets to this address:" will do, I don't know. maybe bigstar can clear things up. I would like to know out of curiosity myself.

To sum things up, the easiest (as in least connection problem) setup of this manner (both client and server behind router) is having the server in PASV mode and the server's IP is correctly/manually set. This configuration will be such that only the server be manually configured, rather than more than one (most likely) or all clients having to manually configure setups on their end.

I hope this helps. Being a personal FTP admin myself, figuring out this was frustrating for me, especially since a lot of people are using routers, and ever since, I haven't been having any problems (with DIR listings).

gl,