View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 PM  
BlayzeX

I don't understand why this is such a big concept to understand.

Why use SSL/TLS/ any encryption at all..... to protect ANY data. This exact same question could be used on almost anything.. the reason SSL/TLS is used is because in today's society everyone surfs the internet, buys things from the internet and unfortunately it needs to be done to protect people from prying eyes(hackers/ISP,etc) who would steal/look at this information.

Why use MD5/different hashes to protect open source bulletin boards/other forum sites passwords in the database..... because if the database is stolen the passwords are a lot harder to find out/reverse... I could go all day and use many examples of why this would be a GREAT ADD ON for flashfxp, but the reality is, if you BUILD it, people will USE IT.

In my situation, I have a cloud server in which i access all the time for STORAGE. I personally don't want anyone looking at my files weather they are my wedding pictures/baby pictures/etc. The reality is servers are hosted by company's who employ people. Server admins have access to ALL FILES/programs/etc on servers. Someone who hacks in to servers have access to ALL FILES/programs/etc on the server.

Also depending on the host you may not be able to install your own encryption program. Encryption takes CPU power, CPU power costs MORE MONEY when talking about hosting.
If your using shared hosting well then you definitely can't use more than 20% of the CPU.

I could encrypt my own data, rename the folder with some type of obscurity program, and then fire up flashfxp and do it this way. I could then make sure all my laptops have this same programs, etc so that when I am away from home and want to access it, I could download the data and unecrypt it myself. I could also Winrar up some files, upload them and then when downloding them unrar them, but flashfxp has these scripts... why???? To make things easier.. CLick and go and its done and done FASTER. It also helps FlashFxp stand out because it makes tasks easier. It is also ONE PROGRAM that could DO IT ALL and do it faster/simpler.

The reality is that many people would probably use it. Hell they might make it a standard when uploading personal files to servers that they have no control over. IF a person sees garbage its alot harder to justify taking it and messing with it. Just do a google hacks search for pictures/files/folders/etc... its out there and people exploit it all the time. This way it makes it A LOT harder. Especially if its encrypted to todays/future security standards. Hell make it AES 512 or RSA 4096. IT keeps prying eyes from seeing it so obviously and makes it harder for them to try to break it. Of course if someone has billions of dollars and dedicated computers to crack it... well then were all screwed anyways...

I could purchase another software that does it, but I have already purchased FlashFXP. I like flashfxp and I believe this implementation would be Awesome and #1 USEFUL.

There are many people who upload family videos/pictures/documents to cloud servers for storage... imagine giving them the security for NO ONE but them to access it. Not server admins/hackers/prying eyes.

So let me explain the process below...in the next post..