View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 08:12 PM  
rchalwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hggomes View Post
why are you using DMZ instead of port forwarding?
Just a quick'n'dirty way of excluding my router as the problem after reading that some ftp servers have problems in a NAT environment. Before that it was setup as a virtual server with the relevant ports pointing at the NAS.

Quote:
Probably because it's not running with .conf files, maybe its running via command line switch. Try a 'ps -aux' and see the complete command sequence of 'pure-ftpd' process running on the system. It's similar to the described below, but you sould see the '-l pam' switch instead.
The unix version running this NAS seems to be rather unusual and "ps" doesn't support any option parameters other than "w". The best I can get out of it is:

Code:
5493 root     51952 S    pure-ftpd (SERVER)
Other processes (incl httpd) have command parameters, but none show up for the ftpd so perhaps it does have a conf somewhere after all?

Quote:

You should try to change the authentication mode from PAM to PUREDB ... Give a try, good luck.
Thanks for the detailed help ... your suggestions are appreciated. Unfortunately I couldn't get beyond the first step since "pure-ftpd" isn't recognised by shell. Even though it seems to be a process

Looking deeper into the system, there isn't even a pure-ftp binary. Instead there's just a generic "ftp" file which I'm guessing is it. Thecus seem to have done some unconventional things with this system and it is a looooong way from vanilla unix.

My hunch is this one ain't going to be fixed easily and is probably not worth further effort. I can connect just fine as FTP-over-SSH which is a reasonable compromise and secure enough. Other users can just use unencrypted FTP and I'll set the permissions to -ro

This is probably a hint that I should buy a server and get on friendly terms with Fedora.
Thanks again.