View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 12:17 PM  
Yil
Too much time...

paja1: I personally don't see any major speed difference, but here's a couple of things to check...

1) Are transfers using SSL? If so then you may notice a small difference from the switch to certain much more secure (though more computationally expensive) algorithms available under OpenSSL. There are ways to compare apples to oranges by forcing ioFTPD to use certain algorithms but I wouldn't recommend that.

2) How many transfers do you have going at a time? I'm assuming you're comparing speeds of just a single transfer (remember to count the OTHER ioFTPD on the machine as well!). If that's true then make sure nothing else is using the CPU on the machine...

3) Check for Io_Threads = 4 in the .ini file, I'd suggest your dual core CPU use 4 io_threads.

4) Make sure you aren't limiting speeds in any way, if you know you never do set Scheduler_Update_Speed = DISABLED. If you enable speed throttling on a transfer (either via the userfile or for every connection on a device) it will effect maximum throughput, sometimes substantially because it breaks things up into smaller packets if your network is faster than the limit. This is exactly what you want if you need to share your bandwidth with skype or video conferencing but not what you want if speed is your only concern...

5) See how fast things go locally. This is the surest test to rule out the enormous number of network issues/settings that can effect transfer speeds. If you see that huge transfer difference locally then we'll have to take a deeper look at network stuff. I forget who it was who helped diagnose the OpenSSL problem for # of transfers > CPUs but that bug was fixed and it was reproducible locally.
Yil is offline   Reply With Quote