View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 01:08 AM  
Yil
Too much time...

Are you using 7.5.10? Grab the .9 zip and then the .10 exe-only file if not. That should solve the performance issue some people saw when using SSL to transfer files. If you aren't using SSL/TLS then it probably won't fix it... You can also play with the number of IoThreads in the config file if you have lots of transfers going.

I've been doing a lot of work for the next release and have a "big" TO-DO list of things I'd like to fix/change/optimize at some point in the future. I did notice a few transfer related performance things I'd like to change and I'm pretty sure I can up the total max throughput of the server, but at the moment I do 40MB/sec+ testing locally via the most secure cipher openSSL offers. Even if I could get ioFTPD up to 80MB/sec the only people that should affect would be gbit servers. You should have no issues saturating a 10/50/100mbit link as I see that all the time.

A FAR bigger thing to get right is to get the network settings. If you have packet loss, delays, etc then the large TCP windows are a drawback... I'm not sure what to tell you on that front, but if you can provide some details comparing the 2 different server setups under test conditions that could prove useful. For instance are both servers transferring only one file and if you switch which one is transferring does the bw differs every time? If you have multiple transfers then all bets are off in my experience so try to only have one going. A fast download from the server can starve uploads, and vice versa. Is this using SSL and if so are they using different ciphers?
Yil is offline   Reply With Quote