View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 AM  
Yil
Too much time...

jojo: The .vfs file usage of something like \\name-or-ip\sharename is just a reference to a regular windows shared/networked folder. So when downloading the file it is streamed over the net to the server and then onto the user. This is fine when the access is on a local LAN and many ioFTPD servers mount local drives/folders this way so they can use the drives from many machines. Alternatively you could just use NTFS mountpoints to mount network shares inside the NTFS filesystem and let ioFTPD think they were just regular dirs (v7+ is sort of aware they aren't but ignores that difference).

While the network share doesn't have to be on the LAN it really doesn't make sense any other way since you could just setup another FTP on the remote machine which would save all that bandwidth between the two of them.

Now, I assume you mean slave in the drFTP sense. That would be a rather large change and I don't think it's worth the effort. However, it isn't as hard as it used to be because of the virtual directory additions, especially after I allow manipulation of non-existent file/dirs later on. Using that idea the slaves would just appear as pure virtual dirs locally and with the addition of the PRET command you'd probably be set if you didn't try something fancy like spreading uploads across servers.

So, while I don't think it might not be that hard to create a script to allow you to browse a remote FTP and up/down to it as if it were a local directory, things like merging directories across systems and load balancing downloads are not trivial problems and there are a lot more important things at the moment...
Yil is offline   Reply With Quote