View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 06:01 AM  
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfxp-friend View Post
Hey bigstar, do you think we could get a ShellExecute script token to use in Custom Commands? I'd like to be able to download a file (based on a wildcard or regex pattern), then pass it (=the local file name) on to an external program. Thanks!
Can you please give me a situation where this would be used?

Adding a shell execute to a custom command is simple but since you can't use custom commands on local files it doesn't make sense and it would be pointless on the remote side because you can't use them to transfer files.

The issue I have with executing files automatically on download is that 99% of the time you may not want to do that, I can see a small 1% of the time where it might be useful, the problem with executing a program for each download is the delay incurred by the program being run, especially if FlashFXP has to wait for it to finish.

I toyed around with the idea executing a command line virus scanner for each file downloaded and due to these wait delays from the virus scanning program there were all sorts of issues, the biggest one is that the ftp connection would time out while the file was being processed.

In this type of situation if you don't wait then you end up with multiple instances of the program being run which in some cases can crash your system, I think after about 30 copies of the command line anti-virus program my system choked.

If you want to execute a program on a file that you download thats one thing, but to make it automated 100% of the time, unless its a simple program that returns instantly and even then there's no such thing as fast enough, running any external program will cause a huge performance hit in the amount of time it takes to transfer the queue.