View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 12:14 PM  
Yil
Too much time...

TCL quick update:

First off, I thought FTP clients were using UTF-8 encoded names since that is provided for in the standard (FEAT UTF8). ioFTPD doesn't support this, but I figured clients were sending it anyway because they didn't have any other means to encode the characters...

What I didn't realize is that clients weren't doing anything with the name at all, but that the clients were running windows using different code pages so they could see different characters...

So now that I understood what was going on, things started to make more sense.

The ioFTPD problem with TCL is that it is passing back and forth strings that are supposed to valid UTF-8 encoded strings and they aren't. This of course confuses it...

There are a bunch of functions to convert strings in the TCL library and I'm not sure what the best way to handle it is yet, but it should be fixable.

Alternatively, TCL might be able to use the [encoding] feature to re-interpret the string. This is what my plan was earlier but I kept getting errors because I thought it was valid UTF-8 filenames that the FTP client was sending...

So, the good news is, I think I understand what is going on which means there should be a work around/fix provided you are using code pages.
Yil is offline   Reply With Quote