View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 04:54 PM  
Telcontar

Well, I logged into the site I manage with FlashFXP, which took me to the local and remote folders. On the local site, there's a folder called "New Folder" that I forgot why I put it there, so I opened it. FlashFXP tried to open the remote folder even when the listing hadn't indicated it existed; the server responded "550 New Folder: No such file or directory".

I then double-clicked Parent Directory in the local view to return to the root. The remote side then CDUP'd out of the site root into the parent folder. This is the precise behaviour that makes Synchronize Browsing so frequently untenable. I don't have the entire site on my PC here (it's pretty huge), and there will always be mismatches.

I confirmed earlier though with build 1225 that switching folder using the address bar (either by typing or by selecting a recently-visited remote folder) does now synchronise both sides correctly, which is great.

As far as folder creation goes, one possibility is to have a tickbox in the New Folder dialog that says, "Create matching folder in $other_view" to bypass the desynchronisation problem of creating a folder one side at a time. Although you can resolve it using Explorer for local-remote, this would also solve the problem for people doing FXP. That said, I have FlashFXP set to enter a new folder on creation which may possibly be wrong to begin with -- might be easier to turn that off and create a folder on each side manually?