View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 03:30 PM  
Zer0Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocarez2k5
That double part, how does io deal with that?
ioFTPD neatly handles multiple lines of settings. It checks the lines top to bottom and acts accordingly. Take the example with the detailed vfs permissions – you have a couple of default rules that basically allows users to upload, download, create dirs etc.

Upload = * * simply means "everywhere" "everyone" is allowed to upload, but at the same time limited by the chmod settings on the existing vfs system. Now, what happens if I put another Upload rule just beneath it? Nothing happens since the first rule applies, everyone everywhere. That rule lets everything slide. So you need to put additional rules above the default rule in order to take advantage of the config's strength.

Example:
Upload = /Incoming/* 1M
Upload = * *

This means that only users with the flag 1 or M can upload to /Incoming but everywhere else is not limited by this rule since it's path specific.

You can but lots and lots of lines there to really tweak your vfs to only allow the actions you've chosen. Btw.. my own ioFTPD.ini has some 30+ lines starting with Upload and it has been working just great for years.

Quote:
The example says that you can remove that incoming part but in that case you will get double rules/commands!
I'm sure the "remove the incoming" part refers to removing the lines containing /Incoming/*, thus you won't have any duplicates. You're not supposed to just edit out the text "/Incoming/*".

Quote:
That registry part, has more to do with ioGUI build in latest io version, and because it's delivered with io now i did mentioned here.

I'm aware that ioGUI isn't needed but it's the simplest way to check if everything works fine.
ioGUI is NOT the simplest way to check if everything works. If you want to make sure ioFTPD works, set it up and try to log in with a regular ftp client. And I have to mention (again) that ioGUI really isn't a part of ioFTPD. Yil just chose to put it in the default package to "help" new users.

So my suggestion is, forget about ioGUI for now, set up your ioFTPD so that it works for you on your system. When you get it to work (login, download, upload, fxp, ssl etc.) you can sink your teeth into ioGUI by just making the needed changes in settings.ini and sites.ini to suit your config.. then fire it up.

This is alot of text that might not make you even a little bit smarter. But I've done this for years and I really haven't had any major problems with ioFTPD. It's actually VERY easy once you know the foundation of it – set up the vfs, generate your own ssl cert (optional) make sure you've forwarded/opened (and configured) the correct ports and dataports to the ones you want, then just log in. It's explained in greater detail in the online documentation I wrote back in May 2003 for ioFTPD 4.9.x, and most of it still applies to io 6.x.

/ZR