View Single Post
Old 05-25-2006, 02:43 PM  
peaceomind

Default Inherited Explorer Bugs

* FlashFXP v[3].[3].[7], build [1130], [x]registered, [ ]unregistered, [ ]pirated
* OS [x] WinXP, [ ] Win2K, [ ] Win98, [ ] WinME, [ ] Other
* Running behind NAT/router [x] Yes & Model [D-Link DI-604], [ ] No, [ ] Not sure
* Running firewall [ ] Yes, Name [ ], Ver. [ ], or [x] No
* Running Antivirus [x] Yes, Name [Symantec Corporate] or [ ] No
* Network [ ] xDSL, [x] CABLE, [ ] Dail-Up, [ ] Other

This bug applies to all recent versions of the software.

I understand that it is an elegant solution, in many ways, to embed Windows Explorer functionality in FlashFXP, but it also creates some problems. For instance, I cannot view .png files in my Windows shell (WinXP sp2). I have no idea what causes this bug--I've never had the motivation to track it down. I usually just don't view .png files in Explorer. I do, however, want to upload them to a remote server via FTP. Trying to do so using FlashFXP causes a strange hang, since the program insists on viewing the files in Explorer.

This may be considered a "design limitation," but it's a serious issue. There are a number of files, I think, supported by Windows that Explorer does not handle correctly. Whenever FlashFXP hits one of these files, it hangs. When I'm trying to upload a large queue, unattended, this is a major problem.

Is there an option in FlashFXP to turn off directory viewing? I don't really need to see my files before they get uploaded. I'm not sure there is a good way for the program to detect this error, since the hang presumably occurs outside of your code.

As a final note, I want to say that I'm very happy with 3.4rc1 - I notice a marked speed increase over 3.2, especially in terms of constant-time operations (directory changing, initiating transfer, etc.)