View Single Post
Old 03-15-2006, 07:42 PM  
sasa_obu

Default "Cache Directories" is very dangerous, isn't it?

Hello,

in my eyes the option "Cache Directories" is very dangerous cause what you see is not allways the actual content of the directory if this option is enabled. So for example it could happen that you delete a directory cause FlashFXP shows that it is empty while it contains files that were placed there after FlashFXP cached the directory. Or you do assume that a file is allready uploaded cause FlashFXP shows it but in fact it is not there. Cause you think that the file exists you will not upload it again so that the file will be missing on the server.

This are only 2 examples for mistakes that could happen when using the "Cache Directories" option. Sure if you use FlashFXP to download files from public FTP's (like ftp.microsoft.com or ftp.adobe.com) only this might be no probleme but if you use FlashFXP to manage files on private FTP's which contents changes while your FTP session is open you could get serious problems with this option enabled.

I have used FlashFXP for more than 2 years to manage my D-Box 2 digital receivers via FTP. Since I randomly discoverd this problem yesterday I am absolutely worried cause I think that this problem will occur very often on D-Box 2 receivers.

Imagine the following situation:

I am connected to one of my digital receivers with FlashFXP and suddenly I decide to flash a new image to the D-Box 2 which will of cause dramatically change the files / folders present on the receiver. So I disconnect the FTP session (I am not closing FlashFXP) and then flash the new image after that (the receiver still uses the same IP, user and password) I use the reconnect function of FlashFXP to reconnect to my receiver. What I will see now is a mix between the files and folders which were present before the flash and that ones which are present now cause the content of some directories will be up to date while the other ones which were cached before flashing the new image will still show the former content.

This is a normal situation when testing new software for the digital receivers but exactly in such situations the "Cache Directories" option is very dangerous, isn't it?

So does this in fact mean that I have allways looked on wrong files and folders while I have edited my digital receiver's software?

If so I do not understand why such a dangerous option is enabled by default.

Thank you in advance for your support!