Thread: System slowdown
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 02:02 PM  
Seome
Inicom Networks Support

(This message mostly irrelevant due to bigstar's post above but leaving for people who have a speed issue where alg.exe is not the high CPU user)

With problems of CPU speed usage on the local computer the firewall is the culprit in a very significant majority of the cases so that is the best place to start troubleshooting. It does not look like I explained this sufficiently originally but as I said in my PM, I thought you were the one who sent the email on the topic and linked to this thread and firewalls were mentioned there.

Norton Internet Security and Norton Internet Firewall have a component named something like "Internet Worm Protection" in the firewall which has been found to slow FlashFXP down as this component scans all data that passes through the Firewall. Any byte-level scanning of the Anti-virus software that may also be turned on in Norton could significantly slow down your computer during file transfers.

Another question on the firewalls, did this problem not occur before you registered your software? If it only occurred after registering it is likely that your Firewall is no longer giving exception status to FlashFXP because of the changed executable with registering. Can you please try removing FlashFXP.exe from your firewalls exceptions list and then re-adding it? The IP address allowance you have set in your firewall allows the connection to be made but won't necessarily cause FlashFXP or data from that location to be trusted by your computer's security.

Thats all on the firewalls, hopefully that and the earlier things are enough to rule out those issues. You are correct that it does not sound like a Firewall or Anti-virus issue as one of the Norton services would be expected to have high CPU usage during the slowdown, but it is possible that there is an issue with how those services tie in with the alg.exe service.

The high CPU usage by alg.exe does suggest the problem is somehow related to the way ICS is working on your machine. Does the alg.exe usage jump on your "host" machine during transfers even if the transfers should not be involving that machine at all, say from your beta test machine to your xbox? Is there any reason you can think of that your other machines may be using the ICS connection during a file transfer? A complete session log for one of these connections could be helpful, to copy easily copy a log just right click on the lower right Session Log window in FlashFXP and select "copy to clipboard" and then paste the log in a reply message. We especially need the beginning headers/first commands and a few succesful/unsuccesful file transfer commands.

Best Regards,

-Chris
Inicom Networks Support

PS. You mention poor/non-existant support from our Contact Us forms. I cannot find any messages sent from you on this topic in our support system, most messages receive a reply within a day or two. Did you send the messages to support? All Contact Us forms to support/information/sales go directly to our support staff and are generally answerd promptly.