View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 01:19 PM  
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer

When you browse folders located on network drives, do they contain many different file types or just a few? (say less than 10)

Also what file types are there?
Most file types, .html, .jpg, .gif, .php, .txt, etc already use a default icon since they don't contain icons so the performance is probably going to be the same. I will conduct some tests to confirm this.

If the files were say .ico, .exe, .dll, etc using the default icon would speed things up.

Is the scrolling slow when you browse a folder that only contains folders (like the screenshot you posted) or does it only slow down when you reach the files?

On my local network, browsing between local and networked drives is pretty much transparent, there is no noticable difference in delay from networked drives. If I browse a networked folder containing 1,000 icons (.ico) there is a very noticable delay while scrolling, this same behavior can be seen when browsing the same folder on the local machine, though the delay might be slightly less, If only by a second.

Also, I should point out that as you scroll the list, the actual list is being populated. Not just the icon but also the Filename, Size, Date, etc.

At the moment there is no set time frame for the next release. However it will probably be a month or so away. We still need to finalize the code and do some public beta releases.